Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leg brace question

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Whoever you work with make sure your goal and what they would be trying for you to achieve ARE THE SAME.
    Amen to that. I can't even count the times I've thought I was communicating clearly about my goals, capacities, etc. - writing things out, reworking sentences to make them as transparent as possible, taking a witness with me to appointments - only to end up with opposite results in critical areas. What you say, and what people hear, can be shockingly different - even when both of you have the same objective (therapeutic benefit), from different perspectives. At this point, I ask my health care professionals to repeat back to me what I've said, in their own words - we can refine from there.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Bracing that includes the lower trunk, hip, knee, and ankle is abbreviated LKAFO. You can do a search using that term. Those that include only the knee, and ankle (usually starting just at the hip) are called KAFOs.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Amen to that. I can't even count the times I've thought I was communicating clearly about my goals, capacities, etc. - writing things out, reworking sentences to make them as transparent as possible, taking a witness with me to appointments - only to end up with opposite results in critical areas. What you say, and what people hear, can be shockingly different - even when both of you have the same objective (therapeutic benefit), from different perspectives. At this point, I ask my health care professionals to repeat back to me what I've said, in their own words - we can refine from there.
    That is SO true!!

Along the same thought as the OP. Instead of using a stander could a person use a sling and a ceiling lift? I'm thinking of those gait training slings that attach to ceiling lifts. Maybe use knee immobilizers or have live assist similar to how the TheraStride is used for walking in the NRN?

Putting them on and taking off, YES, another HUGE piece. Conceptually you can see standing. The getting those braces on and then all of the "pieces" your body must do, is grossly different. Watching a video or other electronic, may give you ideas, do NOT rely on what you see, you can do. I am not saying this that it is impossible. It is just extremely different than what you are seeing. Your trunk needs to be tucked in as if uninjured. AND really need be careful you do not unexpectedly fall, hurt or anything else not thinking of that sets you backward. I wear foot/ankle fixed braces in bed each night. It helps foot drop and fluid buildup. About 1 year ago, 1 fell off bed while I was sleeping. Snapped my femur. Was in surgery next day for rods in leg. I sill have no idea how that happened.

I've been a T11/12 incomplete since birth I used KAFO's or versions of those from the time I was 3 or 4 until I was 16th, even with somewhat functioning quads I never was a functional walker and honestly the energy you have to expel and then not being really functional at any sort of activity it just isn't worth. I'm about 20 times more functional in daily activities in my chair then I ever was walking. The only thing miss is being able to stand. In my opinion unless you can justify them for just therapy you're more or less throwing money down the toilet. Unless they are a really low injury and or are super incomplete I would say 95% of the people who have braces probably abandon them to the closest after a year or two. At least that's what I've seen over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I've been a T11/12 incomplete since birth I used KAFO's or versions of those from the time I was 3 or 4 until I was 16th, even with somewhat functioning quads I never was a functional walker and honestly the energy you have to expel and then not being really functional at any sort of activity it just isn't worth. I'm about 20 times more functional in daily activities in my chair then I ever was walking. The only thing miss is being able to stand. In my opinion unless you can justify them for just therapy you're more or less throwing money down the toilet. Unless they are a really low injury and or are super incomplete I would say 95% of the people who have braces probably abandon them to the closest after a year or two. At least that's what I've seen over the years.
    Agree 100%, you will soon abandon braces, they are totally not functional for almost all paras and every quad. You may want to consider a standing chair that may enhance circulation and pressure shifts.

Back in medieval days when I was in rehab they allowed extra rehab time for paras who wanted to "walk". This was in an era when health care had a heart. I learned quickly that you could not functionally climb stairs and that walking down the halls of a tiled rehab center floor was vastly different than going outside and ambulating on course, cambered concrete. My braces lived a decade or two under my bed post rehab. I married a chair user, her braces joined mine there. When two of our nieces were preteens spending an overnight decades later they spotted the braces and insisted we stand. That was the last time we stood. Braces for sci folks are a tremendous waste of effort and walking on braces a destroyer of shoulders.