Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leg brace question

As for stand up, there are countless number of things better be going on correct from hips upward. You rally need to have your butt tucked in. What are you loaning on using to assist in the standing position. Your arms will only last a very short time. Your skeletal will do tons of help in supporting the weight if you can get all of hat into correct position. If you do not, it is either your arms or device toe support upper body weight. Arms work very short time.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I tried KAFO's and ended up with RGO's which worked out great for me can stand with forearm crutches and waddle around the house in etc.

For me KAFO's took an insane amount of upper body strength even just to balance upright, whereas the RGO's once I was balanced I could just stand without expending hardly any energy, even just stand at a high table, use the table for balance and drink a coffee and play on the computer, noway I could do that with KAFO's.

I got mine from http://www.hanger.com/ love those guys. Totally customized them for me and made sure I could put them on myself stand by myself, better than the PT's, constant fine tuning and tweaking as I improved with them.
    Plus they went the nine yards to get the whole thing paid for.. I wish every DME experience was that good.

If you call up your local Hanger rep and ask if they have RGO experience, sure they'll be happy to talk to you about orthosis.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    I'm wanting to reach out to the cruel companies to see what kind of deal we could work out. I just don't know who to contact

Right in your backyard:

http://www.hangerclinic.com/location...s/Raleigh.aspx

You'll need a Physician's Rx regardless of the deal.

I'm T6 but structurally a sorta T12 (the rods go down there). And I have leg braces...in the closet. Maybe if they had some sort of hip fixation function, they would be more useful. And that would be just standing there. Getting upright, locking the appropriate joints (and the ability to unlock them) just seemed like a dangerous folly to try to continue with them. I am better served by a standing frame with a mobile option on it for standing duties and moving around upright needs.

I'm thinking that with a C level injury you might need a whole-body brace. Don't forget about tone and spasticity doing things you don't want happening while 'standing' with these contraptions. And it really isn't 'standing', more of some really annoying chore with good potential for severe injury (no tuck and roll when youre paralyzed).

Bader Braces in Lutz. Florida. Call and speak to Wade Bader. He is the guy that fits you and the guy that makes them. I have had over 5 different sets of kafo braces since 2011 and his is by for the best. I have bought from Hanger and a few other places but its much better to have the guy who fits you for the kafo braces to make them. All of his braces are made of carbon fiber so they are very light. KAFO braces are very hard on you but it is worth it all to be able to stand and walk with a walker. I wear my kafo beaces 12 hours per day. I hope this helps.

Remember that you need to come to a standing position after applying leg braces too. This takes a LOT of upper body strength. How strong are your triceps, if any? You also would have to be able to grip onto a set of parallel bars or crutches, although possibly a forearm platform walker could be used, but most likely you would need one or more people to assist you into position like this.

A standing frame or glider can help get you up into an upright position, unlike braces. You could also consider the use of a standing wheelchair or something like these if you have the funds to purchase, although not sure how functional they are for someone with tetraplegia vs. paraplegia. Insurances rarely cover them:

http://www.matiarobotics.com/

Here are braces that are used for standing and VERY limited ambulation for people with high paraplegia. Certainly not functional, and used primarily for therapy and exercise:

(KLD)

I have EXACTLY the RGO shown in KLD's picture. I'm a T-5 complete and use them mostly for standing and exercise. They are hard to get into and it takes a fair amount of time getting used to them. When I first got them it took me over a week to even try and "walk" with them. I wear them just about every day for their therapeutic and psychological value

I talked to my physiatrist about them first and was then evaluated by a PT who helped in determining what would work best. After the evaluation I got a prescription and went to an orthotist for further evaluation and casting. My insurance fully paid for them.

I find that it takes a sincere and determined commitment to make them work. I like them for the exercise and the fact that I can stand in them. In fact, the back brace helps with my trunk weakness and scoliosis. I also have noticed that they seem to help with reducing my spasms. I suspect that having my legs stretched and moving has something to do with it.

Probably the best course of action is to discuss it with your doctor.

you wouldnt go out in these would you? if you wouldnt then whats the point in going through all that and it being abit unsafe when you could just use a standing frame mobile version? i can imagine trying to "walk" in one of those and i dont think it would go as well as i have it in my head, it would be hard and im pretty confident in things i do and being able to hold my own weight etc.

You can Google leg braces, orthotics companies, etc. to see pictures of braces. I have done this in regard to TLSOs (Thoracic Lumbar Sacral Orthotic, which I must wear due to scoliosis and paralysis).

I believe leg braces are now much lighter, being made of plastic and composites. When young, back in the Stone Age, I wore metal braces so I could stand and drag myself up two steps onto my school bus, as this skill was the only way I could attend school (for the handicapped!). If one could not get on the bus independently, they were put on home instruction. My arms were very strong, but it was a major workout to get on the bus.
    Braces are so expensive! Yes, you would need a doctor's prescription for orthotics, and probably physical therapist to run you through parallel bars to get used to them. In short, yeah, you can do it, but there are so many other pursuits in life that might be more rewarding.

Absolutely what everyone is saying here. It take a hell of a lot of strength, practice and mental determination. Whoever you work with make sure your goal and what they would be trying for you to achieve ARE THE SAME.