Thread: Poll: What is the best ceiling lift?

Poll: What is the best ceiling lift?

I've been using SureHands for 20 years and love it. The Body Support System makes it so easy to get into the wheelchair and bed. Any other ceiling lift compare to it?

I use the surehands lift have been satisfied with its dependability. I started with the body support system and I feel it for my shoulder apart, placing excessive pressure to the posterior shoulder capsule. I even padded both shoulder cups one t- foam. I have since gone to the body sling and it is a world of difference. In my opinion, if you're not going to be using the lift by yourself you should not get the body support system. It only takes a minute to throw the sling behind your back and under your thighs and get lifted up. If you get the body support system and it doesn't work out for you will have wasted $800 which could have been spent on the sling. Mind you, your shoulder may feel fine at first but after a year or so may experience every day shoulder pain. And I am sufficiently strong to keep my shoulders depressed which some other quads are unable to do I prevent the shoulder cups from riding up into the shoulder joint.

We had a SureHands body support sling for my mother, but as her MS progressed it started causing major problems with shoulder impingement (as above) and pain for her, as well as making it more difficult for her to breathe. We had our mounted on a Barrier Free CTL motor (actually two in different parts of the house), so we just replaced those with a straight spreader bar and a hygiene sling (bought one from Arjo) and that worked well for her for both comfort and safety. She was never able to use the body support or the fabric sling independently; they were always applied by family members or PCAs.

(KLD)

I have been using a SureHands with the body support system for 3-4 years and love it. What is interesting is that I doubt that anyone out there has worse shoulder joints and pain than I do. When I am being lifted it feels like I am getting a hug at my rib sides and it does not seem to bother my shoulders at all. Could it be that because I am about 6'1" and have a long trunk that it doesn't bother my shoulders? The side pieces do not reach up to my arm pits.
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs.; 11-16-2015 at 11:31 AM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

BHM makes a nice unit and turntable. pair that with an arjo hygiene sling, its pretty easy for a quad to use independently. the only thing that takes alittle getting used to are the 4 way buttons on the controller. very small.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    I use the surehands lift have been satisfied with its dependability. I started with the body support system and I feel it for my shoulder apart, placing excessive pressure to the posterior shoulder capsule. I even padded both shoulder cups one t- foam. I have since gone to the body sling and it is a world of difference. In my opinion, if you're not going to be using the lift by yourself you should not get the body support system. It only takes a minute to throw the sling behind your back and under your thighs and get lifted up. If you get the body support system and it doesn't work out for you will have wasted $800 which could have been spent on the sling. Mind you, your shoulder may feel fine at first but after a year or so may experience every day shoulder pain. And I am sufficiently strong to keep my shoulders depressed which some other quads are unable to do I prevent the shoulder cups from riding up into the shoulder joint.
    Only time my shoulders hurt is when I don't have the leg supports high up my legs. Almost to my crotch. If they are down by my knees my shoulders will hurt..