Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with Wheelies

Need Help with Wheelies

Greetings, All,

I recently purchased me much anticipated wheelchair (less than a month ago). I am able to negotiate through life with it for the most part. My only problem is that for the life of me I am unable to pop any type of wheelie to help me with small curbs, threshold...etc.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong in my technique? I've watched various YouTube videos but no luck.

Please help!
    Carmen
    I am deaf to your words until your actions give me a reason to listen. ~ Trent Shelton

Jim, your second link doesn't work for me.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks Chas- http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ouTube-Channel!

Nebraska is coming to Rutgers Sat, we need an upset BAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Thanks Chas- http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ouTube-Channel!

Nebraska is coming to Rutgers Sat, we need an upset BAD!
    Link still doesn't work for me.

I don't follow the games closely, but love to watch when I can. GOOOOO Huskers . . . We had quite a win over MichState last weekend. Hopefully no questionable calls this weekend.

Carmen, sorry for the hijack. That first video is pretty good. What chair do you have?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thank you so much Jim. I'm going to give these a shot. it has been so discouraging to me in not being to do wheelies when the need arises.
    I am deaf to your words until your actions give me a reason to listen. ~ Trent Shelton

Hopefully your chair isn't too front heavy? Does it stop when the front wheels meet any kind of difference in sidewalk height?

Otherwise, your head controls the balance ... same in tai chi.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Hopefully your chair isn't too front heavy? Does it stop when the front wheels meet any kind of difference in sidewalk height?

Otherwise, your head controls the balance ... same in tai chi.
    Hmmm..... I'm not sure if my casters cause my chair to stop. I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure.

Can you post a picture of yourself in the chair, from the side? Sounds like you may have your axle too far back for easy wheely-ing.

Do you have a spec sheet on your wheelchair? What brand, size, your front/rear seat height, etc? Probably most importantly after rear & front seat heights, what is your COG (center of gravity) setting?

First and easiest question: Do you have anti tip bars at the rear of your chair? If so, these may be getting in the way -- but don't mess with them until you've examined the other settings. You want to look at all these settings (read through these posts), and then with that information, put a game plan together.

If you have anti tip bars, the easy remark is that they may not be set high enough to allow you the wheelie height you need. I have "earned" my wheelie height by working toward it, inch by inch, until I was comfortable. I also make sure that my wheelie bars are always in place to catch me and to prevent me from flipping -- I don't need a skull fracture / traumatic brain injury, or SCI. (I have Cerebral Palsy and walk a little bit, but am unstable.) So, I want my wheelie bars high enough that I can do little wheelies, and in one case can actually hop a few curbs -- but, I also want them at the right height they will catch me *just* before I get to the "flipping point." I don't want to have my chair flip over backward and get aforementioned skull fracture or anything worse than I've already got...if I can avoid it.

Now for the geometry and spec sheet side of things, and these two things will make a big difference in your ability to wheelie.

First let's look at your chair: is it set up "flat"? (same front seat height and rear seat height). If so, it will be harder to wheelie (at least for me). I find if I have a lower rear seat height in the back I get better response. But, before you change that -- hop in your chair and check your COG.

COG is Center of Gravity and will be briefly checked by seeing if your hands line up with the quick release axles. So, sit in your chair, and hang your arms down toward the floor. If your hands can't actually reach the axles, that's okay -- just draw an imaginary line (might be easiest to go to a full length mirror so you can view this without bending into a pretzel).

If your COG is set about right for a wheelie, your hands/imaginary line will go right through the axles. If it is set rearward of your hands, how much? If it is a distance (like more than 1/2" for me, certainly more than 1" would be difficult) -- this is why it's very difficult to wheelie. The further back that goes, the more difficult it will be.

The reason COG could be this far back is because you may want a stable chair. The more COG is rearward, the less likely you are to flip over. The downside of that is that it will be more painful to push (incredibly painful for me). COG being close to (within a 1/2" for me) -- my hands makes it easier for me to push and makes my chair able to fit into more spaces / take up less room when turning.

Unless you are an experienced chair user or need it for other reasons, I would not put a COG frontward of your hands by more than a 1/2" (maybe inch as you gain more experience) -- as this will make you constantly tippy in the chair. It's a creepy feeling, has an element of danger (remember the possibility of flipping your chair all the way over and getting a skull fracture, that just might kill you!!), and, as someone who has had to maintain a wheelie for a period of time and push, more energy and forward motion goes into your casters (and saves your arms) than you think.

Your user's manual should show you how to do the front/rear seat height adjustments if you want to do them, and should show you how to move your COG forward if you need to. I recently did a rear seat height adjustment to one of my chairs (a Quickie Ti, which is not made anymore) -- and it seemed to help with my pushing efficiency. It *did* take me all evening to make the adjustments (rear seat height, resquaring the casters) -- and I needed the help of another really strong person to hold some things in place while I tightened them, so that is something to consider.

After you make any adjustments, please get a friend or family member to help you in a "flippable" test -- sitting in your chair, with the anti tip tubes on, have your family member sit on a couch or stand against a wall. Then, have your family member push down on your chair and tip you back -- are you able to flip over? Or do your anti tip tubes catch you just in time? Make adjustments as necessary for your anti tippers to go up/down as needed, and try again. Your anti tip tubes should catch you just in time. Likewise if you change your cushion or seating -- check again.

Good luck! I hope this helps.
    Mystery