Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help with Wheelies

Came in here to post a link to my vid... Someone has already haha thank you!! Hope it helps someone.
    This is a link to me doing skills in my very first chair, which was very hard- I did tip out the back a few times before finding my centre of balance so get someone to help if you can.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5K5ik6Sy3o

Quote Originally Posted by MyRaven View Post
    Hmmm..... I'm not sure if my casters cause my chair to stop. I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure.
    When you're pushing your chair and meet an up-lift in a sidewalk, or perhaps a curb cut that's quite uneven from the street?

Practice the wheelies with someone behind you first ... or against a wall. Head balance and wheel control.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

adjust your center of gravity by moving your camber tube slightly further forward (not too much) just a little bit at a time which will make the chair more "tippy" and go from there, remember to lean forward as you go up the curb, thats if this is what your trying to achieve.

The easiest way I pop a wheelie is to gently and SLIGHTLY roll backwards, then firmly push SLIGHTLY forward. The front wheels will pop up. Suggest you practice this with someone or couch behind you. With practice you will be able to approach a rise in sidewalk and just slightly pop head and upper body back while just pushing forward.
    If you wish, practice balancing the chair on the rear wheels to get a "feel" for the balance. You would never need to go that far back to pop a wheelie, but it helps to become comfortable maneuvering the chair.
    Good luck mastering this skill!

It took me a couple of days to get the hang on it. For me the hardest think was overcoming the fear of tipping over backwards.

To learn I arranged the furniture so I could reach out to the side with both arms (aka a bit like grasping parallel bars). Then while still holding on with both hands I rocked the chair back with bum/torso to get the front up. Once I got used to the balance point, I progressed to one hand on one piece of furniture and one hand on one push rim. Then eventually both hands on both push rims.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: But I wish I could do a rolling wheelie. I sometimes can going down an incline but am not very adept at it so don't do it very often for fear of wiping out, Ouch!
    Last edited by Dickie_Lad; 11-10-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie_Lad View Post
    It took me a couple of days to get the hang on it. For me the hardest think was overcoming the fear of tipping over backwards.

To learn I arranged the furniture so I could reach out to the side with both arms (aka a bit like grasping parallel bars). Then while still holding on with both hands I rocked the chair back with bum/torso to get the front up. Once I got used to the balance point, I progressed to one hand on one piece of furniture and one hand on one push rim. Then eventually both hands on both push rims.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: But I wish I could do a rolling wheelie. I sometimes can going down an incline but am not very adept at it so don't do it very often for fear of wiping out, Ouch!
    I haven't mastered that yet so kudos to you!

Without adjusting any part of your wheelchair, see if you can move any of YOUR BODYWEIGHT forward. Lean, your head, reposition butt very slightly forward. Where are your hands on rear wheel when trying this? Reposition grip farther down as if going backward.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Without adjusting any part of your wheelchair, see if you can move any of YOUR BODYWEIGHT forward. Lean, your head, reposition butt very slightly forward. Where are your hands on rear wheel when trying this? Reposition grip farther down as if going backward.
    Do you mean move her body weight back? Shifting her weight forward would have the same effect as moving her axle back; i.e., making the chair harder, not easier, to tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Segreto View Post
    I haven't mastered that yet so kudos to you!
    After reading this today, I thought I better do some practicing sharpish, in case my nose starts growing like Pinnochio's!