Thread: c3c4

c3c4

I've lived with my parents 25 years since my accident. They have taken care of me the whole time till last year (dad became ill) so I got some aids and nurses to help out. I'm getting ready to move in with my fiancee. With my condition should I have a nurse with me vs aids while my fiancee is at work? A nurse can do everything I need unlike an aid.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 11-10-2015 at 12:47 AM.

Are you on a ventilator? Who pays for your outside caregivers? I assume you are getting them from an agency rather than hiring on your own? What care do you need done by an RN that cannot be done by an aide or PCA (such as suctioning, vent management, etc.)?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you on a ventilator? Who pays for your outside caregivers? I assume you are getting them from an agency rather than hiring on your own? What care do you need done by an RN that cannot be done by an aide or PCA (such as suctioning, vent management, etc.)?

(KLD)
    I'm not on a ventilator. Workers comp covers all my care. Yes I get my nurses (lpn) and aids from an agency. I have a sp and colostomy that the aids can't do anything to plus they can't give me my meds. So if my fiancee is at work 10 hrs I would need a lpn there to handle everything I need. Here at my parents house they would give me my meds and if my sp or colostomy needed to be done they could do it. Not any more.

Can you negotiate with your WC company to self-manage your attendant care needs and not use an agency? If you hire your own PCAs like this, you can train them to do these things (SP care, assist you with meds, bowel or colostomy care, etc.). WC often has this paternalistic approach to attendant care that requires using an agency so they can get reports, etc. about you from the agency (as the payor).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Can you negotiate with your WC company to self-manage your attendant care needs and not use an agency? If you hire your own PCAs like this, you can train them to do these things (SP care, assist you with meds, bowel or colostomy care, etc.). WC often has this paternalistic approach to attendant care that requires using an agency so they can get reports, etc. about you from the agency (as the payor).

(KLD)
    They are pretty strict about using an agency. Even though they could save a lot of money if they didn't use an agency. But that's wc for you. I'm going to talk to my Dr. about it. If she okays it they have to do it.