Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nustep, has anyone used this?

Nustep, has anyone used this?

I'm looking for a good option for a full body workout that will hopefully help improve range and increase strength. I came across this http://www.nustep.com/home-use/spinal-cord-injuries please watch the video. I read that it can be adjusted so maybe it can move your legs through full motion, I image this would be greatly beneficial when yo sit in a wheelchair all day. I find this one interesting because they say they offer financing. Has anyone used one of these? Please share any other ideas for full body workouts.

They have three at my gym. I use it straight from my chair and bandage my hands in place. It's a great warm up/cool down exercise.

Yup - my Dad actually bought one on Craiglist. It's great. They are pricey so I recommend not buying it new. They are built pretty well so they should last. We stalked craigslist (and ebay) for months (years?). But it is big and heavy so very pricey to ship. We found a nearby person selling one, and then hired someone to transport it in a van to my Dad's house.

They are very popular at the rehab facilities in our area. Even a local family tennis club/gym has one.

So if you haven't tried one, you should before you spend a lot of money. I think their website has a search function that allows you to find the closest Nustep purchased near you. Then just go to that gym or PT facility and ask to try it. Get a script from your doc if it's at a PT facility. Maybe join the gym if it has one. It's probably cheaper in the long run to join the gym and if you like the Nustep, stalk Craig's list until you find one.

Thank you so much for this feedback guys! Do you find it brings your limbs through a pretty decent range of motion? Please share the benefits you've seen from using them.

It is great cardio and strength training all in one. It is great because you can work out your arms, legs or both. It wont stretch you per se, and only works on range of motion / movement in one direction (stepping like bicycling and push/pull arms). It's not a miracle machine. But it's the best recumbant bike you will ever find, and is much safer to get in/out of.

It improves my Dad's endurance, and we know the overall health benefits. It also saves you some time by getting in arms/legs strengthening and cardio at the same time.

Good to hear. I wish it was a miracle machine But I'm with you in thinking exercising two things at once is very beneficial, a good use of limited time. The stepping would also come back in the opposite direction so would be a very good movement, thoughts? I'm trying to figure out the best exercise and movements to improve my function and strength. I'm in my chair mostly all day but exercise my legs and arms as best I can and usually once a day use the up n free gait trainer and practice walking for about 30 minutes, about 100-125 steps. I have walked as many has 500. Do you think adding the regular use of something like the nustep to my routine could be a key ingredient to my progress? I mean there are tons of things I can do and try but with time limitations I'm trying to figure out and get going with the most effective things that will help me. I greatly appreciate your insight and feedback.

Yes I have had one for 3 years I started out at level1 now I'm on level 8 It is good for cardio And some days when my pain is to much I just jump on it and it helps

Do you remember if your limbs feel looser and less tight than they did 3 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by tryharder View Post
    Good to hear. I wish it was a miracle machine But I'm with you in thinking exercising two things at once is very beneficial, a good use of limited time. The stepping would also come back in the opposite direction so would be a very good movement, thoughts? I'm trying to figure out the best exercise and movements to improve my function and strength. I'm in my chair mostly all day but exercise my legs and arms as best I can and usually once a day use the up n free gait trainer and practice walking for about 30 minutes, about 100-125 steps. I have walked as many has 500. Do you think adding the regular use of something like the nustep to my routine could be a key ingredient to my progress? I mean there are tons of things I can do and try but with time limitations I'm trying to figure out and get going with the most effective things that will help me. I greatly appreciate your insight and feedback.
    I think the Nustep is a good tool. I think it depends what your goals are.

What are your goals?

My Dad's PT is ok with the NuStep, but she wants him vertical/standing/walking even more, if walking is his goal. So she wants him in the AlterG even more then the NuStep. Look that one up. Another thing to try - check if there is a NovaCare therapy place near you that has one. If you can keep up the walking for 30 minutes a day... that is great.

But honestly, having a NuStep in the house means it is more likely he does that than nothing! It is also good for some other medical problems he has (lung problems) and we know cardio/exercise in general is good for just about everything. It's better than just sitting... He reads while doing it, or watches something on his tablet.
    Last edited by hlh; 11-09-2015 at 10:05 AM.

After I use it my legs are less tight.And are warm so I believe it helps with circulation I use it almost eveyday