Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions

Opinions

Just curious as to what some folks here think about this. Most people in town seem to agree with this woman. I lean more toward the father's side in this. I just don't think wheelchairs are designed to carry more than one occupant (on the roadways), let alone a child in this manner. Correct me if I am wrong.

http://wtnh.com/2015/11/06/danielson...-a-wheelchair/
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 11-07-2015 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added "on the roadway" to clearify.

She looks small, and the kid is a kid, how is the wheelchair being overtaxed by this? And a seatbelt on a wheelchair? Dumbest idea ever IMO, better to be thrown clear vs. getting crushed under it. But I guess it looks 'safer' for the physics challenged. Two on board? So what, it's a motorized seat...not the most scientific/safe thing in itself.

As far as transporting a kid to school, I cant help but wonder how I managed to survive childhood walking to school by myself when I was a kid. Oh wait, things weren't as neurotic back then, lol

So the kid can't even walk with her, wtf is that?
    Besides, it's ridiculous not to allow kids to ride on the chair... apparently wheelchairs are inherently dangerous...

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    So the kid can't even walk with her, wtf is that?
    Besides, it's ridiculous not to allow kids to ride on the chair... apparently wheelchairs are inherently dangerous...
    I agree about the walking. There were plenty of kids who walked to school in my day too.

I just wanted to clear up my position about allowing the child to ride on the chair. I was only speaking of when riding on the roadways. I have nieces and nephews that ride with me all the time...well not so much any more, most of them are grown now. Anyway, I never took them with me on the roads like this. My chair is a manual, so it would be much tougher to do as well, haha. I guess I was being overly cautious.

Either way, I don't think that this justifies anyone taking her child away from her.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 11-06-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Many people I know in power wheelchairs have their children riding on their lap, sitting on or standing behind the back, or even sitting on their feet and the children are safe. I hope this woman gets some help from disability advocates in fighting her ex-husband and the child "welfare" system on this. The Looking Glass Foundation may be a good resource for her on this...they have helped some of my clients.

(KLD)

From what is shown here, Emily is lucky to have this mom and I hope the mom wins.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many people I know in power wheelchairs have their children riding on their lap, sitting on or standing behind the back, or even sitting on their feet and the children are safe.

(KLD)
    Do you agree with this on the highways too? I just thought it could be dangerous for the child to ride behind her like that. Everyone I have spoken to agrees with you. I will be the first to admit when I am wrong. A friend of mine knows her personally. I will pass this information on to him. No matter what, I don't think she should lose custody. She has been a very good mother to her child, from what I have been told. This to me, is something that the parents should be able to work out together. Thanks for the info.

Is she driving on the freeway like this? I don't see that anywhere. It looks like she is driving along residential streets and roads. And no, I have no problem with this at all, any more than I would an AB parent walking along a road or street with their child walking with them. Pedestrians get hit by cars all the time; how would doing this in a wheelchair make them more at risk??

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Is she driving on the freeway like this? I don't see that anywhere. It looks like she is driving along residential streets and roads. And no, I have no problem with this at all, any more than I would an AB parent walking along a road or street with their child walking with them. Pedestrians get hit by cars all the time; how would doing this in a wheelchair make them more at risk??

(KLD)
    No she doesn't go on the highway, that was a typo. I see her in town often where there are four lanes and very busy traffic. She doesn't always stay on the sidewalks. When I first saw the news clip, my thought was that it could be very bad if a car hit her head on and the child was sitting behind her. The little girl could get some crushing injuries from the force of her mother hitting her, even with the slightest impact. I suppose if they were hit by a car, it wouldn't matter where they were sitting, they both could get terribly hurt. I'm am starting to get angry with myself, because I am realizing that I may have some prejudicial views against my own cause, so to speak. I would have never thought that about myself. I ride on the roadways all the time without a second thought. Putting the child into the equation was what made me stop to think about it some more.

The father is an A**hole.