Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need general advice on how to make it easiest to transfer into sedan w/ manual chair

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Is that the way most people sit in vehicle to transfer chair? Legs inside and already under wheel? Or sit on seat with feet on ground and then do all of the chair work? I have not driven since '02 and in process of regaining license. I thought easier way was feet on ground. Yes, I guess there are many factors that could determine 1 or the other.
    I figure doing it normal (ish) style works best. You don't go in feet first when you are walking, so why change? Less jacking around with your legs I think

I would look into a Mazda 5, with a Speedi Lift and XL board from Adapt Solutions, very easy systems to work, and does not require structural modification to the car

First, wow... thanks for all the replies. Good food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    But with a ZRA, hopefully without a goofy questionable value 'ergo' back on it, should be much less than 25 lbs.

I was curious, so I just checked; 35lb for the whole setup, 22 without wheels or seat cushion. We can probably stand to trim some weight there, but she also just needs to get a new chair (since the current is a little small, and getting a little creaky).

The AWD 'Challenger' is actually a Charger, which is 4 door. You can also get that non-cop car version. Door opening angles and if they are wide enough need to be checked though. But don't be too afraid of RWD or the need for AWD, people have been driving without for nearly 80 years. I actually had some FWD car get stuck in front of my garage in the alley last winter. Those are basically one wheel drive cars, and it was interesting seeing it going nowhere. After my neighbor helped push it out of the way, my 'bad in snow' RWD old battle axe with no fancy electronic stuff just went through the same area like the snow wasn't there. Of course some winter-specific tires (Goodyear Ultragrip) and a track-loc rear axle helped, but still...
    You're right, it was the charger. Oh well. But we've basically sworn off FWD & RWD cars at all. They do alright most of the time, and north-east winters aren't especially bad. But after getting stuck a few times, it's just not worth it. Heck, on our property when we visited for the first time it was really muddy and we got completely stuck in the Suburban in 2WD. We had to go 4WD just to back out & get back on the road.

That V6 Challenger has the new-ish 8 speed Chrysler version of the ZF 8 speed. Ultra low first gear and a nice selection of overdrive gears make for brisk acceleration and respectable mileage. The V6 is no slouch either power-wise. Of course you GOTTA get a V8 version, lol
    Yep, V8 Or the other option... someone (local) was selling a 400 WHP Evo with the automatic DCT. Very tempting...

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    This is what I found to be easiest and I'm a quad, less function than your wife. Not saying you should do the same, but food for thought: https://youtu.be/0KgyWxqC1Y0
    Wow, that's great! That's basically what I was thinking with the ramp/pulley idea, but I was thinking more just to assist getting the chair up & into the driver's side, then past to the passenger side. But same idea; pulley to help pull it in, ramp to guide it up into the car. Very neat, and it's really neat to see more non-traditional DIY type approaches.

I'm still holding out hope there's something clever we can do to make transfers easy, use a small 4 door, and not have her struggling w/ the weight of the chair.

second on the mazda 5. i love its an even transfer to the seat. i can go in the rear and put the seats up (can carry 3 other people) or put them down and have a full cargo area that is extremely handy

Quote Originally Posted by Arcalis0 View Post
    Great setup, but what i want to know is how many times have you gone to push away still connected to your winch???
    Haha good question. In 2 years of daily use, not once. With the way I have it set up I have to unhook the rope before I am even able to back up and close the door. I've had zero issues with the setup.

A lot of people talk about getting the XL-board for the Mazda5, but really the Mazda5 seat is so low and easy to get in to the way it is. So I saved the $1500 and went without the XL-board.

And I was going to do the Speedy-Lift if my $500 home built setup didn't work out. Luckily for me I saved another $6000 by not needing the Speedy-Lift.

Back to original posters needs... I didn't see AWD in original requirements, and even Ion and RX-8 were mentioned. If AWD is a requirement, that rules out mazda5 as well.

Sliding doors are chair users friend if want to leave chair completely assembled. The 2nd car for my family in the near future will be the same ramp / winch setup, but in an AWD Sienna. The middle row drivers side 60% comes out and leaves bars perfect to anchor things to. That's the only sliding door or suicide door vehicle I know of with AWD.

Pretty sure getting Subaru Outback. Is somewhat high. Whenever uncle takes me anywhere it is a Chevy about same height as Outback. I am 6'2" can stand with arms. His car I always turn and put rear in first and then legs. I am fairly flexible so lifting legs, I think should not be issue. Have tried sitting behind wheel in my Jeep. Long time ago, but did get there. Do you need to use arms to get legs into vehicle?

I figure doing it normal (ish) style works best. You don't go in feet first when you are walking, so why change? Less jacking around with your legs I think

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Do you need to use arms to get legs into vehicle?
    Yes, no leg function. Good choice on the Outback, I know 2 people with those and they are pretty cool.

And to add to the side opening minivan-putting chair in whole discussion: Take a look at the new version Transit Connect. Not as gay looking as before, and seemed pretty nice for function. I liked the driving position too, not sitting on the floor like with cars. But not such a high transfer like with many minivans. I'd get one, but 23K for a 'beater' type vehicle...I think I'll stick with stuff found at the government auction lot, lol. But if you are not much of a car guy...it seems to be the ticket for one heck of a functional vehicle for our purposes.

I checked out one of the newer transit connects. Was a much higher and more difficult transfer than my mazda5. I actually had an easier time getting into the Ford Flex. All the more reason a person has to try out the various options for themselves I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by juniorsenior View Post
    second on the mazda 5. i love its an even transfer to the seat. i can go in the rear and put the seats up (can carry 3 other people) or put them down and have a full cargo area that is extremely handy
    This looks like a very good option. But I noticed that mazda is unfortunately planning to discontinue this model after 2015.