Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tried an exoskeleton today...

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    Yeah Jim that was very much the limiting factor of the trial. They had put me in a standing frame last week for 15 minutes to make sure I didn't pass out. Yesterday they would stand me up for 5 minutes at a time in the exoskeleton with constant BP checks. I hadn't stood in 14 years before last week!

Oddity, at the moment it's definitely not an every day thing, especially considering it's CDN 180k! It will get smaller, cheaper and more user-friendly over the years I guess. It ain't no cure but it's something I guess.
    Yea, exo's are definitely really cool, but I'm not sure if they will ever be anything more than a therapy tool. They are too 1) expensive, and 2) cumbersome to use. The technology is improving rapidly, but it needs to be 2 orders of magnitude cheaper and a lot more intelligent to make it really useful.

Overall, how was your experience using the exo? Did you enjoy it?

A little update, this is me after training 2-3 times a week the past month. The biggest difference was getting used to being upright. All of the paras in the study are using canes and pushing 1500 steps a session, but I'm... not a para. I've had 1100 step days, but I worry about the stress on my ankle.

Looks better than your previous video....more of a pro. I like how gently it gets you back in your chair. How long does it take to get all the gear on before you head down the hall?

If they set up the exact measurements before I arrive, about 5 minutes. They're doing 4 patients a day though, of all different sizes.

Im curious What do they expect to be the outcome? And what do you expect to be the outcome for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Im curious What do they expect to be the outcome? And what do you expect to be the outcome for yourself?
    Yes! It seems like it would be really nice to do on occassion but not terribly practical, especially if the speed is that limited.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Something new I guess? Learning to use a tech that has potential for the future? I dunno. They measured force and bone density in each patient before and after the program. I didn't come in with any great hope, just something new. The ability to stand upright has shown a MASSIVE improvement in me. I'm way behind the curve anyways, they're all paras that are walking all over the place with a pair of canes.

When this is done please post the results of the bone density. But I'm going to say that there will be no difference, that's just my guess. Understand what you mean wanting to try something new. the future of exoskeletons will be for the military and rehabilitation. Let's hope for a better future where our spinal cords are repaired after damage rather than just strapping our motionless bodies into machines that only address one less important aspect of the disability at best.

Damn, bro! That is just stellar.

Balls of steel! No way, you have shiny balls of diamonds. hahaha! Very high quality gems. haha!

Well done, Chris!

I see a tremendous change. Quite strong and damn great for being the quadriplegic that you are!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12