Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tried an exoskeleton today...

Tried an exoskeleton today...

So here's a video of me walking in an exoskeleton. I was originally refused entry into the research project on the grounds of being a quad. However a couple of weeks ago I'd gone for another project, and the head researcher remembered me from about 10 years ago, when I rolled there (around 5 miles) in the middle of a snowstorm. While he was marvelling at my balls of steel, I mentioned that I was very interested in this project and that, as a high functioning quad, I would be able to do it. That was two weeks ago and here I am. I'm even gonna get paid!

Chris that is really cool! Had no idea how tall you really are. Love the first, "Whoa!"

What is the nature of the study? To improve walking speed or stamina? How are you stepping .. the machine beeps and then you know it's going to go forward?

Must have felt great and good on you for pushing to get in! Gawd like Superman tall!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yeah I kinda forgot how tall I was lol. I'm 6'0" but the exoskeleton adds an inch!

I think the nature of the study is,"We've got this toy, let's use it!". Seriously, I think it's for gait training and studying how a body readjusts to standing and balancing again. The machine beeps when I've put all my weight on one side. With the weight off the other side, the researcher pushes a button and the machine takes a step. After enough training the machine will step by itself.

I wasn't expecting to walk today... just to stand, sit, work on balance, and getting used to being upright for extended periods.

It was cool how many steps you took, but yes it looked tiring!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Badass Chris!

Have you been using a standing frame?
    Ok being upright, any dizziness?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    Yeah I kinda forgot how tall I was lol. I'm 6'0" but the exoskeleton adds an inch!

I think the nature of the study is,"We've got this toy, let's use it!". Seriously, I think it's for gait training and studying how a body readjusts to standing and balancing again. The machine beeps when I've put all my weight on one side. With the weight off the other side, the researcher pushes a button and the machine takes a step. After enough training the machine will step by itself.

I wasn't expecting to walk today... just to stand, sit, work on balance, and getting used to being upright for extended periods.
    Very cool! It definitely looks like more trouble than it's worth from a mobility point of view, but it does seem otherwise useful, and I'm hopeful for what the future evolutions of this technology will bring!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Yeah Jim that was very much the limiting factor of the trial. They had put me in a standing frame last week for 15 minutes to make sure I didn't pass out. Yesterday they would stand me up for 5 minutes at a time in the exoskeleton with constant BP checks. I hadn't stood in 14 years before last week!

Oddity, at the moment it's definitely not an every day thing, especially considering it's CDN 180k! It will get smaller, cheaper and more user-friendly over the years I guess. It ain't no cure but it's something I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    Yeah Jim that was very much the limiting factor of the trial. They had put me in a standing frame last week for 15 minutes to make sure I didn't pass out. Yesterday they would stand me up for 5 minutes at a time in the exoskeleton with constant BP checks. I hadn't stood in 14 years before last week!
    Stand people!

Wow Chris are they monitoring for fractures?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Wow Chris are they monitoring for fractures?
    I've been monitoring my body since last week on the standing frame. I have to go for a bone density test next week to make sure I can continue the trial. Frankly, that's what I'm most worried about right now.