Thread: Rental Cars

Rental Cars

I remember coming a cross some threads where folks spoke of using their portable hand controls on rental cars. I'm interested in how they managed that and what companies they were using. Everytime I'm in need of a rental the companies are saying I must give them 24hrs notice and they have no coupes they can put controls on. I end up with a piece of junk Chevy Malibu with very small doorways. Once got a 4 door Altama...slightly better. Now I'm not overly bougie but I prefer a coupe for the large doorway and I like to drive a decent car considering I'm used to my S5...

They always say I can't use my PHC 3's despite the fact they can be put in the car in less than 5 minutes and I'm used to them!

So what gives? How are you'll getting it done?

Quote Originally Posted by DVision View Post
    I remember coming a cross some threads where folks spoke of using their portable hand controls on rental cars. I'm interested in how they managed that and what companies they were using. Everytime I'm in need of a rental the companies are saying I must give them 24hrs notice and they have no coupes they can put controls on. I end up with a piece of junk Chevy Malibu with very small doorways. Once got a 4 door Altama...slightly better. Now I'm not overly bougie but I prefer a coupe for the large doorway and I like to drive a decent car considering I'm used to my S5...

They always say I can't use my PHC 3's despite the fact they can be put in the car in less than 5 minutes and I'm used to them!

So what gives? How are you'll getting it done?
    I was always a fan of the saying "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission".

The hand controls I use are very similar to the PHCs you've got (no strap over the steering column).

Basically I just order the rental car online (or however you please) and just show up. I used to try and request hand controls, but after several instances where (despite me contracting them multiple times ahead of my arrival) the people on the ground seemed to have no idea that I needed hand controls. Now I just show up with my hand controls (usually concealed in a bag when I pick up my keys from the desk). It's probably much harder to find anyone that has a full size (or medium size) coupe for rent than it is to convince them to let you use your own hand controls.

People at rental car agencies aren't paid the best. The ones on the phone are going to tell you that you can't do stuff because it probably is against some company policy and doing the opposite could get the employee in trouble. The ones at the actual agency where you pick up the keys have a line of customers a mile long and don't want to go out of their way to make more work for themselves (like asking you if you can use the pedals or trying to argue with you about using your own controls).

I've been far too verbose, so in closing, like Nike used to say, I "just do it".

Dvision i do a bit of travel with my sport aid hand controls, and not once have i been told i cannot use my driving aids, both here in Australia and a recent 7 week fly/drive holiday in the US and Canada. while in the US we used Hertz and Enterprise.
    the only issue i have had is on the newer cars the accelerator peddle has a sloping back which makes it difficult to attach and stay in position.
    I am licensed to drive with driving aids, and this is printed on my drivers licence,

Thank you for your responses. I've had a different experience. I'll try just showing up with my own controls next time. The last time I tried that everything went smoothly up until the point I started to install my controls and then was told it was a liability for some reason. Smh. It's unfair for these companies to have this 2 day in advance policies as if the disabled never have unexpected emergencies. Thanks again!

I never rented, but I'm sort of thinking if there are any questions asked while the agent is lurking around just say you have a bad case of arthritis of the hip or something if you encounter questioning, then install the controls once the agent goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by DVision View Post
    The last time I tried that everything went smoothly up until the point I started to install my controls and then was told it was a liability for some reason. Smh.
    So did they make you stop and refuse to rent a car to you? I'm sure it probably is against some policy at a lot of places, I'm just surprised anyone actually tried to enforce it.

When I pop mine on, it takes maybe 2 or 3 minutes to assemble and I can't recall anyone being there to watch me do it. I guess I haven't rented a whole lot of cars recently, but usually they send you out to a little staging area that doesn't have any "direct supervision" after they give you the keys.

Not saying you did anything otherwise, but in my experience being polite, efficient and as "normal" as possible (taking your own bags to the car for example) usually dissuades poorly paid employees from giving too much of a shit.

I have rented cars in the US, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Ireland, France, and UK. Years ago I learned what funklab states, you rent your car, you show up with your hand controls and you figure it out. I do not explain anything over the phone and in turn I do not ask for much more than what I reserved once I get to the my destination. I make it my problem to research the rental, not theirs. I have never had a problem.