Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My response to "handicap parking" abusers!

My response to "handicap parking" abusers!

For the last 25 years, I've seen all kinds of people parking in handicap/wheelchair spots, and we all know that probably 75% or more don't actually "NEED" the space. It drives me absolutely bonkers when there are 3 open spaces directly in front of my local Dunkin, yet there are those that insist in parking in the WC space which is FURTHER away simply because they feel entitled to because they have a placard. Not to mention the looks and head shakes I get from the "abusers" when I pull into a spot because we are a "young" family.

I've been telling my wife for years that I want to just go up to people and say, "I'm paralyzed! What's your excuse?" (She said I'd probably get spit on, or something worse.) So, I decided not to speak "verbally", but "visually" instead.

C5 Incomplete - 25 years of experience!

Heh. Nice!

Good one. I had fun last Saturday when my wife and I went grocery shopping. We were parked in a row with 2 hp spots at the end. While my wife was finishing up I went out to our van. The 2nd hp spot was empty. I sat in front of our van next to the empty space. I stared 3 potentially illegal parkers who had no placard out of the empty space. When they started to pull in they could not miss seeing me. I stared at them and pointed to my wheelchair and then the hp sign. They promptly backed out and hurried away. lol. Then a legal user pulled in and my fun was over.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Great Idea! where did you have yours made? I am sick of these fat overweight lazy people in trucks and SUV/s parking in the striped lines besides the Parking spots. I was blocked in the other day. Had to go in from the rear of my van and crawl up front. They wonder why people go crazy sometimes. I know there are many legit people needing the spaces but all I see in the north is massive overweight people. I blame the medical profession for handing out signed placard forms like candy. Hopefully someday it stops.

Cute bumper sticker. But it won't make a dent in the problem of HP abuse.

Where did you get it! Must have!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    Great Idea! where did you have yours made? I am sick of these fat overweight lazy people in trucks and SUV/s parking in the striped lines besides the Parking spots. I was blocked in the other day. Had to go in from the rear of my van and crawl up front. They wonder why people go crazy sometimes. I know there are many legit people needing the spaces but all I see in the north is massive overweight people. I blame the medical profession for handing out signed placard forms like candy. Hopefully someday it stops.
    I had a sign guy I know make it for me. Cost me $12, but well worth it!

Regarding the overweight epidemic, I just wanted to comment on another observation we had: We were in line for the Toy Story ride at Disney Studios Orlando, which has a separate vehicle for wheelchair users. Wondering why it was taking so long, my wife took a picture of the people in front of us....there were 4 or 5 extremely overweight people using scooters (rentals) that apparently "needed" the special car because they weren't able to walk the extra 10 feet in order to get in the regular vehicle. Drives me nuts!!
    C5 Incomplete - 25 years of experience!

It drives me nuts too! I have had to get my mind out of going nuts and just let those abusers abuse. I just stare at them when I see them getting in or out of their vehicles while I am in my chair. Your sticker cool as it is, I'm thinking that it ought to be on the upper center of the windshield. It would be more obvious to be seen maybe?
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

I was on my way into the grocery store a couple months ago and as I was getting out of the car I saw this relatively AB guy around 40 years old come out of the store with his cart. He unloaded it in the disabled spot next to mine as I got out of the car and then pushed the cart up onto the grassy median next to his car instead of walking the 20 feet downhill to where the shopping cart corral is. That kind of laziness pisses me off, so as I got out of my car I said "Those last few steps woulda killed you, huh?" referring to his laziness at not returning his cart. He started blathering on about a chronic pain condition or something, thinking I was giving him a hard time about the parking spot, so I just rolled my eyes and grabbed his cart, pulling it off of the median and returning it to the corral for him.

I wasn't trying to be confrontational about the parking spot, but if he wants to interpret it that way, it doesn't bother me either.

My mother has a placard. I have no f*cking idea why. There is nothing wrong with here. Her husband, I do not know. He was in army now drives tractor trailer. I assume he ok as well - at least from what I see. I really would like to destroy the placard she has. Beats the hell out of me. I have told her countless times, if I get my license, I REFUSE to actually park in handicap spot. Yes I would be able to , but will simply park far enough away, such that I can do what I need to. My uncle, he parks in out space. I plan on parking in outer space as well.