Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fast-tracked 2017 e-stim?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    It almost seems surreal that this worked, at least some.
    Are you spastic at all Curt? I bet it has a significant bearing on the results. I would guess that with spasms, the nerves are firing and the stimulator may just organize the signals???
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

He did reply last in another thread on February 14th.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1791562

Hi, I've had the epidural trial implant, it worked for me very well. After having to trade it back in I was a mess, after 12 years and a so called walk, I was only good for 200 feet at best. With the trial I went all out and walked a mile and a half all uphill the first day, I finally got my freedom back. I walked a mile in the morning and another in the afternoon, occasionally running aground in a Jack in the Box or taco stand for something to drink! 12 years broken, and 56 years old it was quite the thing, but coming home I thought I could still maneuver my now limber legs, I crashed on the granite counter top twice and hit the ceramic tile floor a few more times.

From Christmas through after New Years I went through a gallon and a half of Clorox2 cleaning up blood. And then there was the dental re-alignment.......

Now back on the west coast I am waiting for the UTI to clear up and go ahead with the permenent one. Knowing now that one of my falls may be the last, the whole time I had the trial I did more, stepped better, and was more confidant, all while never having a fall. Cept for the day I accidentally turned off the unit on my way to give it back, face first in the parking lot! Yes it did help a lot.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yes Daisy I am very spastic, have a lot of A/D and a reflex bladder that sometimes causes a/d when emptying. These are reasons I thought I might benefit from SCS implants. There is just not enough evidence that it really will do all that much for a complete injury like me other than the word of the 4 individuals and CR foundation. I really don't know if I believe it. I do believe it could really help incomplete injuries and thats probably why San Diego limited their trial to incomplete injuries. If I really knew for sure it would work as said by Louisville, CR foundation and the four implant patients I would probably fight really hard to get it done with whatever it took. I'm still in the waiting and watching phase. I remember years ago a guy named Will Amber filed a lawsuit against a researcher, it really did not get too far was my understanding. That is a very tricky kind of thing.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Ha, no spasms. Dead.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Well, now back home, and it's going to snow, still having issues with the ankle, but I'm not letting it hold me back much. I've got a MUCH better gait, my left leg is behaving pretty good considering it's the one with the problem ankle. Starting to do a lot more walking, until the left ankle gets its way, and then I rest. Stairs are a breeze, I don't drag the left leg like I did.

I'll be heading back out the end of June to tune up the programs better, I've already made changes before I left and see if I can really work this out. So far, so good, I just wish this ankle/foot problem didn't show up, it came from an antibiotic Levaquin for my UTI. But it will pass, it's just going to take a few weeks. Until then.........

Awesome!

Thank You! I am continuing my upward trend, hoping after this left foot clears up, all will be a whole lot better, now out the door I go.lots to do here again. At least the snow is being downgraded too.

I don't understand why medicine does not help more people? It has been proven Epidural Stimulation and other types of Stimulators can help in Spinal Cord Injury. Why is it not available for more people who are currently suffering? To me it's rather nasty of the medical community to do this to people who need help. Why don't more of us get the help we need? Since I've been injured going on 35 years now I've had to do everything for myself, never really got much help from Doctors or the medical community with anything. I'm currently in the middle tweaking my FES machine to a different resolver angle to get a better leg workout. My legs are in great shape and the rest of my body not bad for a 57 year old man, did 25 miles yesterday on the handcycle pushing really hard mostly against the wind, so heart is in good shape. Since day one though of my injury back on May 9th of 1981 the Medical Community has down nothing for me. Paralysis is still exactly the same, no sensation or movement from the nipple line down. Yet my legs are very strong and when I spasm push hard still. Too me it is downright mean to put out there about the four guys who did so well after the epidural implant and never offer it to others, I really hate all those researchers and foundations involved in the whole scam. Not putting down Pathmaker here with the Myoregulator because at least they are trying but I am putting down others who see fit to run endless trials and just keep trying to raise more and more funding.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 03-19-2016 at 01:30 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Take it to the media Curt. Anty will never see this and that pisses me off.

I agree with you Curt. You have been hurt a long time. It appears to me that the Reeve foundation recruits people based on their ability and enthusiasm to raise money almost like the requirement that a politician be a narcissist. It's not about helping those injured but challenging able bodied people to get out there and raise more money (primary goal) to help those injured (secondary goal). I really don't give a shit if someone stands to dance at their wedding reception (lol!) but I would really like to see you (and lynnifer) stand voluntarily without braces whenever you wish. As a citizen I do contribute tax proceeds that help fund this research.