Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fast-tracked 2017 e-stim?

No trial, it's going in on Friday, he's confidant it will be for the better.

Hope for the best man. Good luck to you.

Now next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    Now next Friday.
    Any news to report?

I'm liking it, no sleep the night before, or diner, MRI at 10.30 that night, didn't get back up town till 12. A couple of doctors, Dr Brown as well, and technicians, nurses. They tested and moved the trial probes until they got what they wanted to move. Then I worked with the technician from St.Jude Medical, who make the unit, and got 2 programs to try out.

When I asked him if Dr.Brown was the only one using this, they said, it's his methodology, no one else does it like him. I'm hitting the streets soon to torture test it, but already I can see a difference. My left leg actually is moving better and didn't mind me getting lost and snooping around UCSD.

When my Uber driver showed up, my left leg actually bounced into the car, instead of dragging it in like a dead body! Stairs were better, although I was cautious on them. I'm not really as tired walking as I was, now it's a matter of doing some work with it, it's been 12 years, so I'm not exactly fresh out of the box!

Thanks for all that. So glad to hear you're happy with it. Can you tell us more about how it works? Is there an external device that you use to control it, and how does that work? What does it feel like? etc. etc.
    Is there someone at the hospital who can be contacted for more details about the procedure? Would very much like to find out the cost.

How are you doing with the stimulator? Can you give us an update?

Quote Originally Posted by mamadavid View Post
    How are you doing with the stimulator? Can you give us an update?
    alhavel, hows it? any updates you want to share?
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

It almost seems surreal that this worked, at least some.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    alhavel, hows it? any updates you want to share?
    The OLD grouch was sidelined with a UTI. His last message on FB to me on Saturday was that the permanent stimulator was to be implanted as soon as the infection passed.

He posted in another thread here but I will send this to him.

I am anxious to see how it goes too.

I think they should allow anyone to get it if you are willing to accept the risks. Otherwise...we are in for many many years of trials. They do implant stimulators routinely for pain, bladder, heart, brain and anything other ailment they can sell one for so I am not sure they can keep using the excuse of safety to bar placement to Quads and Paras. What angers me is that most practices are willing to put one of these in whether the statistics support it or not. If you have huge amounts of scar tissue and are more 2 years into suffering chronic pain then the statistics are not in your favor for it to work. But that does not stop them from taking a "lets try it and see" approach.

YET if you have paralysis, lets do a trial and wait 10 years to make sure it is safe????? Does it make sense at all???

Al did say the stimulator greatly reduced his pain which is great and he was able to better control his steps. We joke about face plants and keep a score between us. Plus I am a flaccid injury where he is spastic. I think his spasticity/stiffness helps the stimulator do what it is supposed to whereas for me, I don't imagine it doing too much.

It seem in the CR trial that it is taking time to rebuild function rather than it being an immediate thing.

But I do wish every complete could have a trial then they could record the results no matter how small. Even if it helped minutely with bladder issues, I would consider it a gain in the treatment of SCI. Since Metronic is actively promoting the stimulator for overactive bladder, how can they keep denying SCI's. Its the same stimulator just different placement of the leads and possibly different leads?

In 1989, they said 10 years...well now at 27, I am cynical as hell that anything will ever get passed the trial stages because of the FDA rules/regulations.

The FDA is a MONEY MAKING MACHINE and not for the safety of the patient......
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown