Thread: Where do we stand on a repair for chronic quadriplegics

Where do we stand on a repair for chronic quadriplegics

Where are we standing at instead of going through everybody's posts on a repair for this injury now? I just celebrated 19 years of being alive as a C3 complete injury. Is there any hope in the near future? Or should I count on another 10 years and forget about it. Living life to its fullest as a quad just trying to figure out if it's worth holding onto a dream of walking and having some type of normal life.
    keiffer66

We're not actually... Most of us are still sitting.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

For me and cure for spinal cord injury is a double-edged sword. If they discovered a cure right now that they gave me one shot and I was completely healed I still would not be an able-bodied person.

The scoliosis is pressing my heart against my lungs, I've broken my left femur twice my right femur once, shattered my left tibia fibia and now I have a broken right tibia. Cannot sit straight one leg is 3 inches longer than the other leg and you can imagine with the scoliosis has done to my organs, dropped by gravity into my belly. There is no way to bring them back up to where they should be, is there?

The muscle atrophy aand the bone degeneration would make me have rehab for physical therapy for the rest of my life. Then there is the possibility of all the pain that is accumulated, can I face that?

Bladder and bowel control would be nice to have as well as any sexual function I can have at my age. Looking at your profile I see you're 20 years post how much is your body deteriorated and is or really a cure for it?

The cost benefit ratio of trying to regenerate my muscles, bones and way of life is really an overwhelming thing if you think about it.Now we take the hypothesis that I am 55 years old and you give me that shot, am I back to being 21 with no SCI that's a different story.

The physical, mental and emotional strains that have been put on this body are unrecoverable. Would like the opportunity to mitigate them but I don't believe there is a cure for me ever. Will never have the same body that I had at 21 so I don't know what a cure really is.

As Cris says above, It won't happen for me, because my 55-year-old body is not the same as my 21-year-old body was at the moment of impact with the unidentified floating object. I've got the spine curves, winged scapulas, osteoporosis, even some contractures, among other things, that aren't going to improve even if something restored my spinal cord to the exact condition it was just before impact, completely normal. I certainly hope cure will come along for others, which could happen.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Well my 49-year-old body is not the same as a 29-year-old body but I haven't broken anything I have no contractures still in physically good shape… I roll around in my sip and puff wheelchair every day get out of bed to get a shower play around the computer go out shopping do my range of motion at night. So I believe if there was a shot to repair the injury I could handle it I know my muscles could I will look forward to working out again. I'm just wondering if there is any chance for a repair. I look at all the posts on here don't understand a damn thing. Just make it simple tell us what stage trial is your at if they are working. I remember reading years ago Weis said there would be a repair in his lifetime he is not getting any younger, probably close to retirement. Being a C3 complete injury sucks. Still go on vacation once a year Myrtle Beach but it's a pain in the ass have to make sure have annexed a person and help lift to get into the chair. Finding accessible rooms with showers. Lucky my wife is a nurse. But it would be nice to take a shower all by myself. The way I see it not in this lifetime. So I guess I'm just going to make peace and get my affairs in order. Thanks for reading God speed
    keiffer66

What do you think about the latest e-stim under the skin things?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

lyn I really don't know much about it, most of this stuff in here is too complicated for me to understand, I'm amazed I made it this far and long. I just want to have everything back would that work for stuff like that what you are asking about? I would have sensation back? What's your personal opinion you think there's going to be a repair for this injury and I only black and blued the spinal cord. Just getting frustrated. Especially when you have to hire people and they're not the brightest crayons in the box :-)
    keiffer66

I don't think a biological cure will happen for me. I'm 43, been paralyzed for 30yrs since age 12 (out of hospital on my 13th birthday). Certainly no stem cells in any of our lifetimes or the next 3 generations.

Robotics? Yes. Sooner rather than later. Some robotics with brain interface and senation? Yes. My left foot is effed forever, so doubting I'll walk ... but being able to navigate a few stairs into someone's home would be life-changing.

I also think insurance will pay for the robotics thing ... and will be a huge part in rehabilitation. Shouldn't be long now.

u2fp graciously shared this on FB: http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...&id=7d67c76cc3
    Last edited by lynnifer; 11-11-2015 at 10:13 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

They are no closer with the scaffolding treatment? I thought I saw an article about it being in the stage 2 trial? Maybe not?