Thread: What worries me most about a career - losing medicaid

What worries me most about a career - losing medicaid

I've been thinking about a lot of different career paths lately, but what worries me most is the thought of losing my medicaid because of working. I wish that i could just work any job that I wanted to and still keep my medicaid. If I do work and I have to pay for my own health insurance, are they going to cover everything I need (a cna twice a day at morning and night, my doctor visits, surgeries, wheelchair stuff, etc.)? I'm afraid that if I have to pay my own medical expenses then I am going to be working for nothing.
    I was injured 2 weeks after my 16th birthday on June 14th, 2004. My level of injury is C5 complete, but I can move my wrist.

My screen name comes from the movie The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Few if any regular insurances pay for attendant care, so you will probably have to pay this yourself. If your employer offers a choice of health plans, you need to research which one has the best coverage for things like DME and PT/OT in case you need some of that in the future. You may also be offered only an HMO or PPO, which may mean going to different providers or different hospitals than you have used in the past.

Have you explored the SS "Ticket to Work" program as a transition? Are you on SS now? You may also need to develop a PASS plan if so, which can be used for protecting income from inclusion in your income for SS purposes, but only when you use it for the specified purpose (such as buying a van or paying for attendant care).

(KLD)

Thanks for your reply

I've heard of both PASS and the ticket to work program, but I didn't realize that the PASS program would allow me to work to pay for a van. We're raising money for a van now, and I would really love to be able to work for it, rather than depend on handouts from others. Does that work for just getting a van in general, or getting a van in order to go to school/work.
    I was injured 2 weeks after my 16th birthday on June 14th, 2004. My level of injury is C5 complete, but I can move my wrist.

I'm also taking a better look at the ticket to work program and it sounds pretty good.

I'm not sure each state has this, but you may want to look into MAWD, Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I was going to say the same thing, my state has a Working Adults with Disabilities program so that you can pay a sliding fee based premium and keep your Medicaid. Our program (Colorado) allows up to $4377 per month and still be on Medicaid with a $200 per month premium, and it goes down from there.