Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Off-road Project

Interesting thread, I'm happy I started it. Still not found a work space for my project, but things are looking favorable, simply because I thought of a different way of putting it together than originally, and now think it might possibly be put together with bolts, and not welded if so desired. If so, would open up a build to a lot more people. Don't even think about asking for plans, because the plans are all in my mind, and will not be drawn out, which works very well for most of my woodworking projects. Rough sketches are laid out on paper for some of my woodworking, but only when close measurements will be necessary. In my case, my project will be done using two different types of three wheel ATVs, for two chairs. They will be gas power, no plans for battries - unless I put in a battery for electric start.

However, I did come up with a couple of ideas that may help out people with electric power. The first I am sure most of you know about from one source or another, and that is solar. I have never seen this in person, but have seen pictures of wheelchairs with a sunshade I guess you would say, with solar panels on top. I don't know if any of these were solely solar power, or if the solar was simply to keep the charge up in the battery. I do plan on converting a vehicle to a small camper later on, and do plan on solar panels, and probably a wind generator, to charge batteries. Not sure if a wheel chair wind generator would be practical or not, but think it's worth a thought, would certainly provide current on cloudy days. Remember, I do not use a wheelchair, of any type. So my project's use is intended for scouring junkyards, and probably some beach cruising. I do use a cane, so a off-road power chair/wheelchair would be a pretty big deal for me. I get along well enough indoors, so being used outdoors, using gas just makes sense to me.

Second thought. Use a small gas engine hooked to a automobile generator to charge up your battery. For a lot of you I would say that electric start would be preferable. Which would mean space for a battery also, BUT small gas engines only need a small batter, not car battery size, so one would fit in places a larger battery wouldn't. This would increase your range outside, and still allow indoor use. This combined with solar should make a pretty long, and reliable, outdoor chair. I have no knowledge at all on how to do this, 'cause I've never done anything like it. Besides, electricity has been like magic to me since I was in the 9th grade, and I don't understand magic. So I can't give any advice on how to do it, when it comes time for me to do something like that I have to research the heck out of it all to find out how to do it. Actually, I don't think it would be rocket science to do, just don't know how to do it myself.

I'll post more when I have more to post, and check back periodically to see what others have to say.

there is a gas powered chair on ebay. I saw a guy 40 years ago with an engine on a stick (best discription I got) behind the chair. Briggs verticle engine with a wheel mounted on a centrifuge clutch on the out put shaft. It worked like one of those boats in southeast asia.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    there is a gas powered chair on ebay. I saw a guy 40 years ago with an engine on a stick (best discription I got) behind the chair. Briggs verticle engine with a wheel mounted on a centrifuge clutch on the out put shaft. It worked like one of those boats in southeast asia.
    Very interesting chair. Not real sure if I would want a wheel on one, but it would work. I think a wheel would be more work than two steering handles, one on each side, but could be wrong.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/162031550684...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This looks like a thread some of you would like to follow.
    http://motoredbikes.com/threads/elec...t-trike.47377/

Very interesting chair. Not real sure if I would want a wheel on one, but it would work. I think a wheel would be more work than two steering handles, one on each side, but could be wrong. http://www.ebay.com/itm/162031550684...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT This is not the one I saw. The one I has seen had a gas engine, elect start, handles in front of each wheel to either drive or brake the wheel. I didn't pay much attention. A little too impractical for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Very interesting chair. Not real sure if I would want a wheel on one, but it would work. I think a wheel would be more work than two steering handles, one on each side, but could be wrong. http://www.ebay.com/itm/162031550684...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT This is not the one I saw. The one I has seen had a gas engine, elect start, handles in front of each wheel to either drive or brake the wheel. I didn't pay much attention. A little too impractical for my tastes.
    That link didn't work for me, but the original one I posted did. The chair has been relisted, has electric start. http://www.ebay.com/itm/152083006493...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

How about posting the link to the one you found, I didn't see anything like that gas powered?

Probably some of you have not seen this site. Interesting way of extending electric wheelchair range. Don't think it would work inside so great, but if the panels folded up would probably work OK. And I'm still sticking with gas for my project.
    http://www.alternative-energy-news.i...ed-wheelchair/

Been awhile since I've been here. Got some bad news, and some good news. The bad news is, I have not been able to get started on this project yet. The good news is, I have not been able to get started on this project yet.

Initially, my first thoughts were complex, and required welding, a lot of welding. Rethought, and simplified things a bit, however still complex, still requiring a good deal of welding. Repeat. Then simplified my thoughts a lot more, still welding, but not near as much. Did a lot of research, looking at a LOT of pictures, trying to come up with an inspiration I liked, and was not overly complicated for a do-it-yourself project. By this time I was thinking leave the front wheel, with handlebars, in front, which simplified my thinking a whole bunch. Kept researching, and ran across a motorcycle, that had been bolted together. This motorcycle, a motorcycle, not a motorbike, was manufactured for a number of years, and apparently well thought of. Never did learn why the company went out of business. The motorcycles was mostly flat stock, bolted together, I'm assuming a few welds were also used here and there, but basically it was just bolted together. More searching, found motor scooters of various makes and models that were also basically bolted together. If you used a bicycle, motorcycle, 3-wheel ATV, front end you could just bolt and/or clamp the whole thing together. Only basic tools would be needed for this, hacksaw, hand crank drill, wrenches, but in real life I would want a power saw and drill, would save a lot of time, and energy. OK, kept looking, looking for a design that really inspired me. During this period I ran across a 3-wheel power lawnmower that was close to what I was after. Kept looking. And that is when I hit the good stuff. I found out that various things were mostly made out of wood, go karts, cars (actually I already knew that some cars were made partly, or mostly, out of wood), bicycles, and so on. OK, still looking for the design I really like, getting close, but the use of wood is the real find. I work with mostly plywood for my woodworking, and if you glue two pieces of 1/2" plywood together, you get a really strong flat piece of wood. Wood is much easier to work with than metal, to me at least. So, now my plan is to simply strip everything possible off the ATV I plan on using. Cut out the wood pieces I want, sand the edges to the final shape, then glue to another piece of plywood, rough cut to my first shape. I have a router, so my plan would be to rout the second piece to the same as the first. But you don't need a router, you could just send the edge to match - you could use a wood rasp, or power sander - my choice would be a random orbit sander, because that's what I use, but any cheap power sander would work, the rougher the paper, the faster it will sand down. Then get some U-clamps, and bolt your wood in place. You could use a hand drill for drilling the needed holes, but a cheap hand power drill would be faster. Set your engine in place, adjust it until your sprockets or precisely lined up, drill the holes to bolt it in place. Then bolt a seat over the engine - I plan on using a bar type stool, with a seat and seat back. Once everything is bolted up the way you want, I would use a thread locker so the bolts wouldn't loosen up later. Something like this is simple enough so you could even do the work in your home, if you choose to. If you can't find a ATV, you could use lawnmower, go kart, or similar rear axle. I like the large, wide, tires, on the ATV, because I plan on junkyard crawling mostly, and will be going thru mud, ruts, etc. You could use a wide tire with a bicycle front end by spreading it. Got a lot of things with higher priority than this, so it will probably be some time before I can even get started on it. But have high hopes. In the meantime I'll keep looking for designs that really inspire me.

Well, left here and decided to search some more, and almost immediately ran across this. It is quite close to what I am after, and supposedly is even made with some motorcycle parts. I am wanting a lot wider tires, and the price is well out of my range, even if I actually needed one, and I'll be using a gas engine. Nice tho. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085LV2JY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s= lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004WQ3ABY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=BZWZNAWKA2S51J2K7B9N

Rather than scattering pertinent finds in different posts, I will just post them here. How about a wooden bicycle?
    http://www.psfk.com/2014/05/wooden-electric-bike.html
    Last edited by theoldsarge; 09-16-2016 at 11:43 PM.