Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very unusual battery problem

Very unusual battery problem

New user here, any help would be great.

My work got me a chair to tool around the factory. I use it every weekday. When I first got it, I could cross the factory and get back with using half the charge. Over the last 11 weeks, the ability to travel has dropped off. It now flashes on empty after one trip out and back. It has never run out while I was out, but it is only a matter of time. Did I do something to damage the battery? I thought about not charging it Friday night to keep it off the charger for two days, but I need the thing Monday morning. I had them order me a new battery, but I don't want to destroy this one too. Any advice for a new chair user?

Dan, what model of chair? Was it new? How long have you had?

What is the make of the battery and type?

All the best,
    GJ

One battery? I never heard of any powerchairs that used only one battery. Regardless, try not to run it below 50% depth of discharge, and keep it fully charged as that is the best practice for maximum life.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Lead battery? If the battery has been deep cycled it may be stuffed. Some battery chargers can cook off the sulphate.

NiCd or NiMH don't mind deep cycle.

If its LiIon then charging is always supervised by a microcomputer. Best left on charge and only use battery when mobile.

My laptops are deskbooks so batteries are never used.

LiIon catch on fire if overcharged. Chargers are conservative and never charge to 100%.

Blog Entries
    All the above posts are relative, you left off all the necessary info to correctly answer your question. Quick and easy route, if they gave you a manual with the chair/charger, read it. It should answer your questions. If not, batteries(almost assured to be two), type and AH capacity are the most pertinent. Charger brand and type just in case there is a problem with it and chair type. Most situations would allow for at least a year of regular daily use at work a minimum of a year with no problem as long as everthing was done correctly, speaking in general terms. Get us back some info, you can't treat batteries wrong for long and not wind up having to replace them!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Dan, what model of chair? Was it new? How long have you had?
    It is a Pride Go-Chair, new and I have had it for 11 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    One battery? I never heard of any powerchairs that used only one battery. Regardless, try not to run it below 50% depth of discharge, and keep it fully charged as that is the best practice for maximum life.
    It does have 2, but they are in one "battery pack". It is sealed up pretty good, and I can't get to the actual batteries. I have no choice about how I drain it. I have to go out in the shop at least every hour or so, and one trip is killing this thing. I plug it in as soon as I get back to my office and charge it for the next use. It seems to do worse after it has been charged overnight.

Sounds defective, contact company.

I shall. Given that each excursion is only .25 to .5 miles, how many trips should I expect in a day between charges?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Sounds defective, contact company.
    That sounds like the best approach.

Failing that, I would question whether your battery is getting charged properly. So you could check its voltage after it has been fully charged (in theory). And check all the electrical connections are secure.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.