Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Icon wheelchair - I need you help

Quote Originally Posted by jungsik View Post
    What do you think of long term durability of the Icon chair? I will go back to Korea with my new chair in next July. There is no Icon dealer in Korea, so I will not be able to get any help if the chair goes wrong.
    My son has had his Icon for 3 and a half years now. Since he's only 12 now, he's obviously not as heavy as an adults, but I'd say that the Icon is very durable. My son uses a firefly attached to the Icon daily (to and from school, during sports, etc), and the firefly has recorded about 3500km during that time (and the Icon has obviously done a greater distance). A lot of this distance has been off-road.

We got the footrest/front end upgraded to the new (freewheel compatible) version, which is all they now sell (it's got a tubular supporting the footrest, as opposed to the earlier flimsy angle section). We got some new brakes, more for helping on transfers rather than there being a problem with the original brakes. And some new (larger) wheels, as my son has grown very tall!

When you get the chair for the week's trial I would suggest that you check the tightness of all of the axle bolts, seat post nuts, and backrest hinge (if you've got one) on a daily basis for that week. You'll get some idea of the durability by doing that. If the dealer has done them all up tightly (and possibly with some loctite), then they shouldn't come loose at all; occasionally we found that some had loosened a bit, but loctite (or similar) has sorted that out.

As for there being no dealer in Korea, well there isn't one in Australia either (yet). I've always dealt with Icon (Jeff) directly, and never had a problem. Given what I've said above about bolts etc, the only spare parts you might want to source are the bolts/nuts themselves, in case one loosens enough to lose one (or more). Having said that, we've never lost any, and I suspect that you will quickly notice the difference in the chair if anything is loose.

As for the J3 back, that's what my son had originally. I ended up removing all of the (heavy) mounting hardware and attaching the J3 directly to the back canes using Velcro, and later using cable ties (after Jeff had raised some concerns about over-stressing the canes due to the lack of rigidity when just using Velcro...having said that I believe that Jeff may be using Velcro only on his chair these days!). There is a different backrest on the chair now, and it is still attached with cable ties (only).

With the week's trial, and the opportunity for you to adjust the chair itself during that week, you should have a really good idea if the Icon works for you. We've certainly got no plans to change (or upgrade) chair at this stage...perhaps we will look at a really lightweight one when my son starts to drive, but I suspect he'll be strong enough to transfer the Icon easily enough then.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Jung, Is the dealer local or did he come from Seattle or Vancouver BC?

Oddity, thanks for your reply.

Your email makes me feel much relieved regarding durability of Icon chairs. Only issue left is actual weight. I am sure that I will figure it out when I use the demo chair for a week. Thank you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    My son has had his Icon for 3 and a half years now. Since he's only 12 now, he's obviously not as heavy as an adults, but I'd say that the Icon is very durable. My son uses a firefly attached to the Icon daily (to and from school, during sports, etc), and the firefly has recorded about 3500km during that time (and the Icon has obviously done a greater distance). A lot of this distance has been off-road.

We got the footrest/front end upgraded to the new (freewheel compatible) version, which is all they now sell (it's got a tubular supporting the footrest, as opposed to the earlier flimsy angle section). We got some new brakes, more for helping on transfers rather than there being a problem with the original brakes. And some new (larger) wheels, as my son has grown very tall!

When you get the chair for the week's trial I would suggest that you check the tightness of all of the axle bolts, seat post nuts, and backrest hinge (if you've got one) on a daily basis for that week. You'll get some idea of the durability by doing that. If the dealer has done them all up tightly (and possibly with some loctite), then they shouldn't come loose at all; occasionally we found that some had loosened a bit, but loctite (or similar) has sorted that out.

As for there being no dealer in Korea, well there isn't one in Australia either (yet). I've always dealt with Icon (Jeff) directly, and never had a problem. Given what I've said above about bolts etc, the only spare parts you might want to source are the bolts/nuts themselves, in case one loosens enough to lose one (or more). Having said that, we've never lost any, and I suspect that you will quickly notice the difference in the chair if anything is loose.

As for the J3 back, that's what my son had originally. I ended up removing all of the (heavy) mounting hardware and attaching the J3 directly to the back canes using Velcro, and later using cable ties (after Jeff had raised some concerns about over-stressing the canes due to the lack of rigidity when just using Velcro...having said that I believe that Jeff may be using Velcro only on his chair these days!). There is a different backrest on the chair now, and it is still attached with cable ties (only).

With the week's trial, and the opportunity for you to adjust the chair itself during that week, you should have a really good idea if the Icon works for you. We've certainly got no plans to change (or upgrade) chair at this stage...perhaps we will look at a really lightweight one when my son starts to drive, but I suspect he'll be strong enough to transfer the Icon easily enough then.

Pat, does it make difference in something that I am not aware of?
    The dealer is not local. He drove from Seattle.

I will figure out if I want an Icon chair or not after using the demo chair. My preference is changing every day but I am now more towards TRA a bit more. I swim as you know and I sometime skip swimming because getting into the pool takes so many steps including taking chair out of my car. Some additional weight discourage my willingness to do activities.

Am I too lazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Jung, Is the dealer local or did he come from Seattle or Vancouver BC?
    Last edited by jungsik; 12-22-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    I switched to an Icon over a year ago, and tweaked the fit until it seemed to fit just right. In mid December, I had to get some work done on the seat pan. I pushed around in my backup chair for 2 days. I hated it! It did not have enough dump, the back angle was wrong, and there was no suspension. I felt like I was riding on the chair instead of in it. I check the torque on the nuts and bolts every 3 or 4 months, and have had to tighten the central tube collar once to stop a creaking noise. I can not see going back to anything else.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Why not buying Wheelline, Korean custom made chair?
    Much convenience for you.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Thanks for more replies to me, Donno and sowseng.

I have not received the demo chair yet because the sales person have not received rigidizer for the chair yet. I will wait one more week and probably have to go with Tilite, the alternative idea.
    This whole process is painful and I am losing my patience.

Will let you know the progress of my ordering.

Happy new year to you all !

Happy New Year to you. Sorry the ordering process is so bad for you. A lot of us go through that. I think Tilite makes great chairs, some of the best. I went from a Tilite to an Icon though. They are different and I can't make a direct comparison but I can make the Icon fit me better and unlike other chairs, I can change my settings. I've done that a lot. I've changed my seat angle (seat dump), seat height and back angle. Sometimes it depends for a while on my body and what it needs. For a while I had a nearly flat seat angle and it worked but then I needed more support and changed it. The same for the other settings. I love Tilite and if I knew my measurements better and was willing to commit to one set of them, I would love to get a Tilite TR3. The Icon has been working out though and letting me do things I otherwise could not. I will also add that to me, the Icon seems indestructible. Tilite's are very tough too. I am just surprised at how tough the Icon is since it is a very different design and has moving parts.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Why not buying Wheelline, Korean custom made chair?
    Much convenience for you.
    Yes, I heard the brand. However, I heard that the quality of that brand has not been fully examined. And most of all, I am now in the US and will go back to Korean after July. A similarly equippted chair is 30 or more expensive in Korea.
    I will check and go for their chairs for the next one.