Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting automobile gas?

Getting automobile gas?

Does anyone have any description on how they get gas into their automobile?

In CA, any gas station where there is more than one employee on duty must provide gas pumping services for persons with a disabled parking placard upon request. There are also a few states (like Oregon) where self-service is not allowed, and only gas station attendants can pump your gas.

(KLD)

In Washington State full service stations have to pump if asked and charge the lower self service price.
    Last edited by nonoise; 10-14-2015 at 03:34 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I make sure I park far enough, but close enough to fit my chair, reach the gas nozzle and have the hose reach the car. I am in my wheelchair doing it ... I *never* pull the open end over me ... I sit with my chair on an angle and quickly transfer the gas handle from the pump to the gas tank.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

i locate the gas station on my phone call them, and explain that i'm in a wheelchair. much better than honking the horn and always willing to help, especially when asked.

I'm spoiled, all of our gas stations in NJ are full serve.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    i locate the gas station on my phone call them, and explain that i'm in a wheelchair. much better than honking the horn and always willing to help, especially when asked.
    I do exactly what Mike does, just be nice and try to get gas when they aren't super busy. Of if they are ask someone else that's getting their own gas.
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I make sure I park far enough, but close enough to fit my chair, reach the gas nozzle and have the hose reach the car. I am in my wheelchair doing it ... I *never* pull the open end over me ... I sit with my chair on an angle and quickly transfer the gas handle from the pump to the gas tank.
    Ditto, there are almost no full service stations here anyway, besides it's quicker to do it myself.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

EVERYONE!!! Thanks for all the reply and different answers. My intention is do it myself. Have been told a lot of self-service are fairly short hose, so parking and wheelchair in that are is something need to be sure. I have recently improved, slightly, walk with walker. So was even wondering if could be done from walker. I never heard or knew states that disallow.

If your balance with walker is an issue get gas while in chair as the hose has resistance that could throw you off balance. The hoses are always actually long enough to accommodate people who misjudge where the gas tank is.