Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quadriplegic careers?

Quadriplegic careers?

Hey everyone, I'm interested in knowing what fellow quadriplegics are doing for career/work? I've started back to school to work on my bachelors and I'm focusing on business management/banking and finance but I'm not really sure if I should continue down that route. I am a C5 so I do need a lot of help in the mornings with range of motion and getting out of bed, dressed and showered so office work is kind of up in the air from 8 to 5. Thought I would just throw this out here to find out what my fellow members are doing for full-time work and how much of that work is able to be done from home. Thanks for any help and replies?Jay
    Today is one day closer to The Cure

Right off the top of my head, I'd recommend you continue your current emphasis and couple it with software development skills if that is something you can get intererested in. I think that would be a winning combination and IT work seems to allow for more flexible work schedules as well as work from home opportunities.

I know a number of people with tetraplegia who work regular office hours. Yes, it means that they have to get going with their morning routine at 4AM or 4:30AM so finding attendant care that can work those hours is one of their biggest challenges. This includes people who are school teachers, attorneys, social workers, psychologists, physicians, stock brokers, and hospital administrators.

Working from home is an option for some jobs, but unless you are self employed (and have the additional issues of having to provide your own benefits) working from home is difficult unless you have already "paid your dues" working for the employer in an office/on-site first.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by JayHarn3 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm interested in knowing what fellow quadriplegics are doing for career/work? I've started back to school to work on my bachelors and I'm focusing on business management/banking and finance but I'm not really sure if I should continue down that route. I am a C5 so I do need a lot of help in the mornings with range of motion and getting out of bed, dressed and showered so office work is kind of up in the air from 8 to 5. Thought I would just throw this out here to find out what my fellow members are doing for full-time work and how much of that work is able to be done from home. Thanks for any help and replies?Jay

Hey Jay,

Kudos on going back to school!

I dont have a career yet but am finally in my last year of law school. I'm a C6/7 and also need help but have been fortunate so far in making things work. One of my priorities has been scheduling; I wanted to have more control over my schedule so that I can arrange work around my needs (physiological and social). So I've concentrated on aspects that don't involve litigation to avoid the courts (contracts, successions, leasing, small businesses etc). I've also taken on less extracurricular and even opted for the less-than-ideal courses when I couldn't make the others work. But I've remained strategic. I'll likely be setting up my own small practice and meet clients later in the day and evenings. And essentially, I'm concentrating on things I'm more passionate about because that's where I can establish a comparative advantage

good luck!

I am a para- and have been very successful in the Auto industry-- in sales actually- I am not sure how many wheelchair using car salesman there are, but I am one of the Philadelphia's top Porsche and Audi sales persons. It has never been easy, or adaptive, and the hours are horrid. But it worked for me. Previous to this I was in recruiting, and did well at that also. After 10 years, I am thinking of moving back to recruiting, this is a perfect position for a quad. Usually contracts are based working from home, and software like dragon fly would really make phone screens easy. Also consider a position in internet sales at a dealership- most of the time its not face to face and you would gain great sales experience.

My career in Automotive I average 95k-100k

my career in recruiting I averaged 65k - I was also 25-26 years old- so I am sure it would have grown over time.

I am a paraplegic so I know my experience is different but I do work with someone who is a quad who has worked here for 16 years and someone with cp who has worked here for 5 and we all work in the wireless industry. We do tech support and I personally feel like management and IT are perfect positions. The issue isn't if you can do the job. It is honestly about finding a good company that supports you and that is willing to adapt. My company is still learning and adjusting but they are willing to work on adaptions as needed. On the other hand we are all patient because we understands it takes time for some projects to get completed. So it is a balance between the company and you that has to be there in order to be successful. The hardest part for me was finding a company willing to hire me. That truly was the most difficult part about working after my injury.

I was a self employed investment adviser. I was fortunate that NE Ohio has COSE [Council Of Smaller Enterprises] through which businesses have access to a smorgasbord of resources including group health insurance.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

I've been in IT business management since 97. The flexibility to work remotely has helped tremendously. The US represents only about 4% of the worlds population. With many English speaking markets growing faster than the US and several forces driving the ability to work remotely, international business might be something to consider. A different time zone may accommodate your start time better as well.

Lots of opportunities out there. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck!
    Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

I'm a C5 quadriplegic who needs lots of help. I went back to school for a master's degree within a year after my accident. Started out teaching a few classes online on a part-time basis. Then I was hired as a full-time instructor. I earned my PhD a few years ago, and that led to a tenure-track position as an assistant professor. Last summer I was promoted to department chair for computer science and game design. My joke is that I was named department chair because everybody naturally associates me with a chair anyway.

I am a C7 quad and am a Private Investigator and security consultant. I conduct covert surveillance from my vehicle and one morning I had to get out to confirm an address.

So, mind you, it's supposed to be covert surveillance, at 4:30 a.m. in the projects of SE Washington D.C.(not the ideal place for a white guy in a wheelchair) and it is dead silent.
    I open the car door, which is pretty loud to begin with, and go wheeling through the projects to find the place. I find it and head back to the car.
    I open the door and a carbonated water bottle falls out. The top cracks open and it starts to spray everywhere as it rolls down the middle of the street with me chasing after it.
    Try to find something you love doing, regardless of being injured. And have a sense of humor.

No one asked for a story but now you've already read it, so just go with it.