Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quads, winter is coming... How do you keep warm?

Question Quads, winter is coming... How do you keep warm?

I have a space heater blowing behind me even though it's 50 degrees.
    Everything is good until my neck gets cold.
    Then sneezing and runny nose come...
    What methods do you guys use to keep yourself warm?
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    I have a space heater blowing behind me even though it's 50 degrees.
    Everything is good until my neck gets cold.
    Then sneezing and runny nose come...
    What methods do you guys use to keep yourself warm?

Drink vodka ! /s

Be careful with that space heater. Every winter we see a couple of our outpatients coming into clinic with some very nasty burns from sitting too close to a space heater, or sitting with their leg actually touching it. I have one client who has "grill marks" all across his buttocks from laying in front of one in bed too...and that was 10 years ago.

Things to do to stay warm:
    • Keep your heat on and above the 68F recommended level. In most areas of the USA you can get a discounted utility rate if you need to have gas/electric to maintain powered medical equipment, or need heat/air conditioning for a medical condition.
    • Wear layers. Long underwear, silk, wool, or polyprop are warmest. Change if it gets wet.
    • Consider a warm cape like a fleece poncho or ruana worn backwards over you in your wheelchair (with the opening toward the back, and the front panels wrapped around your shoulders and neck.
    • Wear a stocking cap or some other warm hat or hoodie. Heat loss is high through an uncovered head. A muffler will help with your neck.
    • In bed, consider flannel sheets, and a down comforter with a duvet cover instead of a top sheet (which tends to get twisted around you when turning). Avoid electric blankets, hot water bottles, or heating pads.
    • Cautiously you can use a grain or rice sack heated in the microwave, but burns can occur from these too, so only apply to areas of your body with sensation, and use a towel around the sack to keep it from touching your skin directly.
    • Drink hot liquids such as tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. It does help.
    • We got a blanket/towel warmer from Sharper Image for my mother. She had her attendant warm an afghan for her when she got out of the shower (after already warming the towels) and also put a warmed afghan over her under her comforter when going to bed at night. It takes off that initial chill which can be especially problematic for someone with SCI/D.

(KLD)

Eat A clove of garlic a day, Does wonders for the immune system and chai tea with cinnamon coconut. Dyson heaters pretty great too. Scarf, hat, expensive jacket actually seals heat

When you go outside you need to keep your feet from getting frostbite. You do not feel the cold as you do in your upper body and head. It is easy to forget about them. I have known a number of both paras and quads who had varying degrees of frostbite. Not pretty, and not easy to heal. If you are going to be outside in below freezing temp for all but a few minutes you need arctic-grade footwear. When you get tired of the hassle, move to a warmer climate like I did.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Lol go south to az for the winter

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    Drink vodka ! /s
    Trust me I do

Quote Originally Posted by Ggerry View Post
    And this is coming from a guy that lives in Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Ggerry View Post
    but Arizona sounds great, since I have a mortgage payment I don't want to go and rent somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Be careful with that space heater. Every winter we see a couple of our outpatients coming into clinic with some very nasty burns from sitting too close to a space heater, or sitting with their leg actually touching it. I have one client who has "grill marks" all across his buttocks from laying in front of one in bed too...and that was 10 years ago.

Things to do to stay warm:
    • Keep your heat on and above the 68F recommended level. In most areas of the USA you can get a discounted utility rate if you need to have gas/electric to maintain powered medical equipment, or need heat/air conditioning for a medical condition.
    • Wear layers. Long underwear, silk, wool, or polyprop are warmest. Change if it gets wet.
    • Consider a warm cape like a fleece poncho or ruana worn backwards over you in your wheelchair (with the opening toward the back, and the front panels wrapped around your shoulders and neck.
    • Wear a stocking cap or some other warm hat or hoodie. Heat loss is high through an uncovered head. A muffler will help with your neck.
    • In bed, consider flannel sheets, and a down comforter with a duvet cover instead of a top sheet (which tends to get twisted around you when turning). Avoid electric blankets, hot water bottles, or heating pads.
    • Cautiously you can use a grain or rice sack heated in the microwave, but burns can occur from these too, so only apply to areas of your body with sensation, and use a towel around the sack to keep it from touching your skin directly.
    • Drink hot liquids such as tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. It does help.
    • We got a blanket/towel warmer from Sharper Image for my mother. She had her attendant warm an afghan for her when she got out of the shower (after already warming the towels) and also put a warmed afghan over her under her comforter when going to bed at night. It takes off that initial chill which can be especially problematic for someone with SCI/D.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD,
    I have my heat set at 75? I also wear a hat and a scarf as well as a Hoodie. I have my space heater around 4 feet behind me so I will not get burned.
    I don't have a problem at night because I have heavy sheets and sometimes a blanket over my legs. I will even put a scarf on my head to keep me warm at night.