Thread: Participation in sports and exercise, said be cut off?

Participation in sports and exercise, said be cut off?

(Should say SSDI BE CUT OFF)Not sure if this is the right forum, please move if need be. My question is, do para athletes still qualify for ssdi? Can those with disabilities participate in exercise and sports without fear of benefits being cut? Will they reason that if we participate in a physical activity we are no longer disabled and therefore be able to work? I am unsure how that goes. I would like to be a bit more active, within my ability but I know some already assume if you can do a or b or a and b then u must be able to do c. Know what I mean? Anyone know or have experience with this?

If you are a para due to sci and need to use chair for mobility and you are not employed you will be eligible for SSDI. This disability is coded so that there is little review and you would only be deemed ineligible if you went to work or your paralysis situation changed. I'm sure many world class wheelchair athletes are on SSDI.

x2 what ancient said.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I am a walking para. I use crutches , manula chair, power chair as needed. I am not working have been on ssdi for many years . I have a lot of issues with pain, bowel, bladder etc. A lot of fatigue etc. I shape my days to do daily tasks and needs first and try to get 1 hour of strength and cardio 5-6 times a week. I am interested in doing different types of exercise, handcycleing, wheelchair boxing, and modified mixed martial arts. Was wondering if my participation in these would cause them to conclude I am no longer disabled.

No, not at all. SSA is primarily interested in whether you're working and earning.Are you a para due to sci injury or other spinal cord impairment? An employer trying to escape worker's comp payments might submit your athletic history as proof you can return to work but not SSA.

I had an l1 burst fracture. Was working as a medic. I was on comp for 12 years or so. I was told by my Dr I needed to lose weight. I was almost 300 lbs and more dependant on my chair. I followed a therapy and exercise program and took off about 100 lbs. Comp stopped my benefits saying if I could exercise then I could work. I was already on ssdi too just was offset by comp. I settled my comp case on wages only and still have open medical. It was damned if do or don't. Told I was not trying so I tried. Then got cut off. I am fairly independent but I can't do it all. I struggle to do all the thing a person does around a home chores, errands etc. I try and workout 1 hour a day with stretches, weights and cardio. I struggle with keeping up with all of that. If I worked I would need to give up daily living activities and therapy. It would be work and bed period. You can't live like that. I have tried to fit it all in and can't. I can do things one day but not the next. It's all a balancing act what to do what to give up. I have lost everything. Career, home, friends etc. I just want to feel like I can do, participate in something. But I don't want to jeopardize anything either. It's easy to assume so much lookin at someone. You never know what daily battles and struggles they face.

I'm not surprised worker's comp pulled that but SSA will not unless you begin to earn so much in winnings in athletic events that it would amount to their definition of Substantial Gainful Activity. Even then you could probably establish some kind of trainng and equipment trust to shelter your winnings from being counted as earnings. II understand completely your anxieties about loss of benefits, keep up your exercise program and don't feel guilty - you never asked for the disability you are dealing with.