Thread: Playing drums bringing music into your life

Playing drums bringing music into your life

Hi,

Long long long ago in faraway places I played drums.

Now I'm being inspired for some reason. I'm putting together a percussion drum rack with percussion instruments. Legs no work so no kick drum no hi-hat. I'm only on step #2 in assembling the rack and do need more gear. I bought a nice rack the other day on crags list with all the brackets, cymbals, a 6 in snare drum, and am incorporating it with my FREENOTE WING an instrument that ANYBODY can play and sound good. Does anyone here play drums or know of an SCI that does? I sure do need help. I haven't been so inspired in decades. I don't know why but I need and want to do this.

Anybody have ideas suggestions advice and or knowledge of an SCI drumming?

Many thanks.

Gary
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

how about sip/puff/bite controls for foot actions?

Blog Entries
    I play a 7 piece electronic set (Yamaha). I don't know anything about "real" drums, but I like the electronic set because I can map the tones to each head. I use one of the toms as a kick drum. Not quite as polyphonic as being able to use my feet, but I can at least fill in the low end some. I've got enough control over left leg that if I Velcro my shoe to the hi-hat pedal I can close it from time to time, but not enough to rhythmically use a kick drum. After a dozen measures, or so, it fatigues. I play a lot of hang drums, too. These are hard to come by but I love them:

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

GOOD for you Garyis, thank you for sharing, and keep us posted!

In this day and age, it should be easy to substitute electronically for any missing drum, SO many good drum machines and software (I recommend Ultimate Drummer)

Oddity - I have SO considered buying an electronic set but havent

Kind of hypocritical for me to post here, I can still play guitar some, even recorded some back in 2000, but dont do it because I get so hung up on what I CANT do anymore, NOT the way to think, oye. Even last year, was listening to 3rd part of Shine on You Cray Diamond, and realize I could easily transpose the keyboard solo which I LOVE to guitar, hands would not cooperate so I put it down and havent picked it back up, I gotta get over that, in all honesty I could easily capture the effect using recording tracks one at a time, and use a capo to substitute for my limitations.

Have a lot of music talent I havent made full use of, but still hope to.

Drum on guys

Lee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeinNC View Post

In this day and age, it should be easy to substitute electronically for any missing drum, SO many good drum machines and software (I recommend Ultimate Drummer)

Kind of hypocritical for me to post here, I can still play guitar some, even recorded some back in 2000, but dont do it because I get so hung up on what I CANT do anymore, NOT the way to think, oye. Even last year, was listening to 3rd part of Shine on You Cray Diamond, and realize I could easily transpose the keyboard solo which I LOVE to guitar, hands would not cooperate so I put it down and havent picked it back up, I gotta get over that, in all honesty I could easily capture the effect using recording tracks one at a time, and use a capo to substitute for my limitations.

Drum on guys

Lee
    I'm primarily a guitarist as well. Funny you should mention Shine, I just recently worked out the guitar parts! Not very many of them, but I love the intro. It was at least a good excuse to buy a new pedal (compressor). Great tune! I mostly play fingerstyle acoustic.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I play a 7 piece electronic set (Yamaha). I don't know anything about "real" drums, but I like the electronic set because I can map the tones to each head. I use one of the toms as a kick drum. Not quite as polyphonic as being able to use my feet, but I can at least fill in the low end some. I've got enough control over left leg that if I Velcro my shoe to the hi-hat pedal I can close it from time to time, but not enough to rhythmically use a kick drum. After a dozen measures, or so, it fatigues. I play a lot of hang drums, too. These are hard to come by but I love them:
    Great! Is that you on the hang drum? I thought about an electronic set but backed off, maybe not feeling capable:-) The rack setup is coming along, just waiting for a cymbal and a bracket. There are so many types & styles of brackets it is hard to find the right ones:-( I'll have it together in about a week and will post a photo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by LeeinNC View Post

Drum on guys

Lee
    Well then, holding off won't get you far! I put off trying to make music for years, finally made the move and it has improved my mental health for sure. I could easily fall into some sort of depression if I didn't have a fun 'hobby'.

Go for it Lee,

gary
    ~~~~~~~~~~