Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic mushrooms

Magic mushrooms

I am a C4/5 incomplete quadriplegic I have good left arm use in my brain still seems to function. I have never done shrooms but I feel it's about time I was curious if anybody else has used mushrooms after they have become a quadriplegic/paraplegic. What did you experience when using them? Did it kind of take everything away for a while?
    I just need a little something different I only take my prescription drugs as directed and drink sake when I go out for sushi.
    Thank you for your input.

Blog Entries
    I've been down the psilocybin path, before and after SCI. Really depends what you're looking for. The experience is highly dosage dependent. Changes from enhanced sensory experience, to heightened sexual arousal, to minor visual hallucination (artifacts in otherwise normal vision), to full-blown psychedelic "vision questing". Set and setting are as important as dosage. It's not a "party drug". As with most psychedelics the sure fire recipe for a "bad trip" is to take them in socially dynamic settings. I subscribe to the "Terence McKenna 4-5 dried grams in silent darkness" approach. That's a LOT of shrooms, though, but again, it depends what you're after. This approach yields consistent projective, "out of body", dream-state like trips. Not as amazing, or transformative, as straight-up DMT, but sensational none the less. I don't consider pychedelics "recreational" consumables, personally. More of an opportunity to get your mind outside of itself for looking more clearly back at one self. Fair warning: what you see is not always comforting!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I live on two acres in the Northern Washington. We had cows for a while so always had plenty of mushrooms growing in the fields. They made my legs jump up and down, like a vibrating machine, for hours so really couldn't relax and enjoy. Finally got tired of the shrooms and what they did to cause dysreflexia. Acid did the same. Take a few hits of Dutch Treat or Chem Dog and you'll feel much more relaxed than mushrooms would provide.

in Oregon did some Psilocybin when I was younger but yeah my legs got so amped up I would spend part of the trip just holding on and not falling out of chair. Glad I spent a few years expanding my mind through chemicals but now almost 50 and have a 'been there done that' attitude.

As far as smoking some herb that's works for me right now though I still take bladder relaxer Ditropan but Medical MJ seems to cover everything else.

happy trails

Blog Entries
    Huh, I never experience increased spasticity or AD based on what I eat, 'shrooms included. Maybe I'm incomplete enough not to have to worry about it. Not much spasticity or AD ever, really. Couple of AD episodes over the past 10 years, related to constipation/diarrhea pain. 'Shrooms are smooth sailing. MJ, on the other hand, causes a sharp increase in "pins 'n needles" neuro pain in both legs. Guess it takes all kinds!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I've taken shrooms a few times when I was able bodied, had some great times had some scary times, really looked at myself times. But since my accident I have decided on staying away from anything like that as I would probably have a horrible horrible trip, it would all start by me wanting to do something go out venture which is what I always used to do on this stuff. I've also heard about the vibrations, considering mine do that at least 30 times a day, potentially turn that into continuously almost never ending I don't think I would risk that either
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 10-25-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Huh, I never experience increased spasticity or AD based on what I eat, 'shrooms included. Maybe I'm incomplete enough not to have to worry about it. Not much spasticity or AD ever, really. Couple of AD episodes over the past 10 years, related to constipation/diarrhea pain. 'Shrooms are smooth sailing. MJ, on the other hand, causes a sharp increase in "pins 'n needles" neuro pain in both legs. Guess it takes all kinds!
    I was under the impression that AD didn't affect injuries lower then T6 or around there, I may be mistaken tho.

My friend a quadriplegic that some shrooms and he had so many spasms that he almost jumped out of his chair
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I was under the impression that AD didn't affect injuries lower then T6 or around there, I may be mistaken tho.

L1 here and it didn't feel like an AD(although I don't know what it feels like). My legs are usually limp like noodles but after taking some mushrooms (split an 1/8th with my friend) my legs were so tight it was uncomfortable. My friends thought I was going to start walking LOL but overall made my trip far less enjoyable than it started off. Glad I did it once but probably wouldn't do it again due to the fact it made me super tight.

Yeah there's no way I'd risk that, mine are bad enough. Seems like it's fairly common too even for those that don't have many spasms! Couldn't do hallucinogenic's and just sit either, let alone be confine from the neck down! I'll admit Right now I would have some kind of mental breakdown. When you take that stuff you're supposed to go, go and see things, run around Rome through the trees I did that once at the sand dunes one of Ontario's landmarks beautiful day it was amazing, sadly it was about two weeks before my accident or else I would've made that an annual adventure!