Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Implantable tech available in 2017

Implantable tech available in 2017

"Nonprofit receives $1.05 million in seed money to speed development; FDA approves clinical testingCase Western Reserve University's Institute for Functional Restoration (IFR) and Synapse Biomedical Inc. have entered a partnership to commercialize fully implantable systems that restore muscle function in paralyzed patients.
    To make the technology accessible more quickly, the Craig H. Neilsen Foundation has provided $1.05 million in seed money to IFR, a nonprofit designed to make neuroprosthetics developed by Case Western Reserve faculty available to patients not served by traditional medical-device makers.
    In a third step forward, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved IFR's application to begin clinical trials on 10 patients. The first trials, with patients using the system for hand grasp and postural balance, are scheduled to begin this fall."

http://www.mdtmag.com/news/2015/10/i...&type=headline

I am not interested, but some people may find it useful.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Isn't this where Jerry Silver is as well? Case Western? It's not far from me, I really need to see if they allow visitors to come in and learn more.

*expletive* So to do the bladder surgery or not!!?!?!?!?!?
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Screw all. Those crazy ass "it's ok you're paralyzed" "everything happens for a reason" "God will heal you" people. This is science and it could be the start of real return for many who have been suffering for years! (Lyniffer, I apologize for all the hair you must have pulled out reading those comments on my pg. )

Commenting on your page with those people was fun, since I no longer work. lol One woman was crazy as a loon though! Delusional! "I need to converse with my body on the cellular level to heal myself!" lol
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Commenting on your page with those people was fun, since I no longer work. lol One woman was crazy as a loon though! Delusional! "I need to converse with my body on the cellular level to heal myself!" lol

Didnt you know you can heal the body naturally?? Why are you sitting there!!!?

In this video, Jen French explains the beginning of the implants. She got the first "stand and transfer" system implants quite some time ago and now they are much more customized! Hunter Peckman and the panel explain what this technology is all about. This is why the
    Craig H. Neilsen Foundation has provided $1.05 million in seed money to IFR, a nonprofit designed to make neuroprosthetics developed by Case Western Reserve faculty available to patients not served by traditional medical-device makers.

It's A MUST WATCH...

Case Western Reserve University

Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Orthopaedics

P. Hunter Peckham is the Donnell Institute Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Orthopaedics, Distinguished University Professor, and Founder, Institute for Functional Restoration at Case Western Reserve University. He serves as Co-Director of the MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute at MetroHealth Medical Center.
    Dr. Peckham’s research effort focuses on functional restoration of the paralyzed upper extremity in individuals with spinal cord injury. He and collaborators developed three generations of implantable neural prostheses which utilize electrical stimulation to control neuromuscular activation. They have implemented procedures to provide control upper extremity in individuals with tetraplegia, enabling individuals with central nervous system disability to regain the ability to perform essential activities of daily living. His present efforts concern technology development, expansion of the indications for this technology, and technology transfer through the non-profit Institute for Functional Restoration.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-17-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Here is a description I copied from the case western clinical trial page...

Protocol Outline: Patents undergo surgery in which electrodes are implanted into muscles of the trunk and legs. Electrode leads are connected to an stimulator/telemeter. Following implantation, patients undergo training in standing, transfers and other advanced mobility skills using the functional electrical stimulation system. A prescribed course of exercise, functional training and rehabilitation with the implanted stimulation system, followed by laboratory assessments of strength, balance and functional abilities with and without the system, as well as the technical performance of the implanted components. Home-based training follows prior to discharge for home use of the system.

I wonder if this could have similar results to the epidural stimulation or not because its stimulating the muscles instead of the spinal cord.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

@Grammy - that video was AWESOME! Give me those electrode implants NOW!!!
    I was injured 2 weeks after my 16th birthday on June 14th, 2004. My level of injury is C5 complete, but I can move my wrist.

My screen name comes from the movie The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind