Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sure Grip hand controls?

I guess after 28yrs of quadhood I don't adjust to new things very well. pm me, these handcontrols are brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by elldan View Post
    Am considering a set of these for a full size Ford van that currently has the Push/Twist lefthand setup. In particular, what didn't you like about these, and approx. how much would they cost? I am trying to avoid going through a dealer. Thanks.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I've been using them for about 26 years and love'em, but mine don't look like the ones in the video. They look good and last long. The only thing I've ever replaced was the return spring for the gas pedal which relaxes after 7 or 8 years of use, but they are cheap to buy at automotive stores and easy to swap out. I live about 25 minutes from the guy who invented them (Keith Howell). His crew installs them in the vehicles around here in Fredericton, NB, Canada. His technician usually take about 3 or 4 hours to make it as clean an install as possible. That time is spent custom bending the rods so that they are tight around the steering column and out of the way as much as possible without sacrificing safe operation. Because the gas and brake are operated with the left hand via a "rocking" knob close to the steering wheel, on straight or gentle curves of the road, I can drive with just my left hand, freeing up my right hand to do whatever I want. On long highway trips, I comfortably rest my left arm on the window sill with the cruise control engaged and let my left hand do all the driving, which can still easily operate the blinkers and high beams.

They are expensive, but my province reimburses me 80% of the cost through a vehicle retrofit program. Another bonus is large able bodied people have driven all my vehicles without having to worry about banging their knees on my hand controls.

I've used other brands on occasions where I had to drive a friend's car or a rental. In these cases, they were either the motorcycle twist grip on the right of the steering wheel or a lever down on the left where you pull back for acceleration and pushed forward for brake. I didn't like either of these as they were in the way and/or didn't allow me to free my right hand when I wanted to adjust something in the center column.
    Last edited by fasdude; 10-20-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I guess after 28yrs of quadhood I don't adjust to new things very well. pm me, these handcontrols are brand new.

John? Did you try the push/rock version? I believe it takes less force to operate over the right angle version.

It does kind of depend on the vehicle, if you don't have much space between the door panel and the hand control a push pull or a push right angle gas might work better. If there is plenty of clearance the sure grips can be fine and work out great. I have a pair in my truck that I've used for the past 9 years and no issues. In my other cars I use a push pull as I have less space.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

yah, had bought those originally and the brake geometry was wack for me. again, im sure they are great for some. lesson learned

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    John? Did you try the push/rock version? I believe it takes less force to operate over the right angle version.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer