Thread: Digestive issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Digestive issues

If We are living with high quadriplegia do we have digestive issues, also would we be considering having bowel issues? I ask because oxalic acid is removed from the body by our stool. And my grandpa on my mothers side is very unhealthy eats like crap doesn't exercise etc., but he has had many kidney stones does that mean I am at risk genetically never heard of anybody else in my family having them

Not sure what you mean by "digestive issues". Higher SCI can results in decreased GI motility, which can increase the time that the stomach takes to empty into the small intestine, decreases the ability of the gall bladder to clear bile into the intestine, and increases the risk for constipation. Fortunately, there does not appear to be any effect on absorption of nutrients from the intestines due to SCI, as this occurs without the need for spinal cord or brain control.

People with SCI are more at risk for urinary stones if they have a family history, use indwelling catheter, or consume excessive amounts of calcium. Everyone with a SCI should have annual screening tests to detect any stones early so that they can be removed if needed before causing damage more common with large stones.

(KLD)