Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking friends for my son

Seeking friends for my son

Hello everyone.

I'm not sure where to post this message so moderator may move my post if this place is not correct.

My son, Martin, was in an accident in april 2009, two weeks before his 15th birthday (he's now age 21). He fell of a dirt bike the first time trying with the result of hitting his head into a concrete element. Martin got a fracture on his cranium resulting a brain injury along side paralyzing breaks in is neck (he's classified C2).

Because of his head injury he's very limited because of pain, pain seizures and stress with sounds and movement. In addition he struggles with short term memory. He's complex situation is making him bound to his bed only getting out for care or very short time in his chair. I'll share more details if necessary.

We've provided Martin with a special computer setup that makes it possible for him to have some contact (e.g. special screen not triggering to much pain and seizures).

I'm lokking for stable and patient people (maybe in similar situation) that can chat or email with him on a regular basis. This will make his days more valuable and will for sure enrich his life quality.

I hope for a positive response.

Kjersti

PS! We live in Oslo, Norway.

I write this in Norwegian since it is not important for the other members here.

Jeg hadde nok lagt inn et innlegg p? LARS facebookgruppe. Mange leser denne siden. Jeg regner med at han er medlem av LARS, Landsforeningen for ryggmargskadde. Ellers s? finnes det en gruppe for rullestolbrukere som heter positiv rullende og en svensk facebookgruppe som heter Vi som har enn ryggm?rgskade hvor han kan finne andre i sin egen situasjon. Samboer og jeg er to paraplegikere som bor i Oslo og begge er medlem av b?de LARS og facebookgruppa deres,
    TH 12, 43 years post

Bente, I'm adding the translation-

I had enough placed the cross trades LARS facebook group. Many reading this page. I assume he is a member of LARS, the National Association for the spinal cord injured. Otherwise, s? there are a group of wheelchair users called positive rolling and a Swedish facebook group called We who have than ryggm? rgskade where he can find others in their situation. Spouse and I are two paraplegics who live in Oslo and both are members of b? The LARS and facebook their group,

Takk s? mye for svar. Hyggelig at det er andre norske som skriver her. Martin har dessverre ikke en Facebook-konto. F?r ulykken fikk han ikke lov av oss og n? ?nsker han det ikke selv. Han er veldig passiv og innesluttet, dessverre (vi savner hans glade og sprudlende tilstedev?relse). Mitt h?p er at om han har dialog med noen som har han p? distanse og som ikke kjenner han s? kan han ?pne og by p? seg selv litt mer. Derfor pr?ver jeg ? s?ke i andre fora etter noen som kan ha kontakt med han.

English:
    Thanks for your answer. It's very nice that fellow Norwegians write in this forum. Martin doesn't have a Facebook account. Before the accident we didn't allow him to, and now he refuse to create one. He's very passive and withdrawn (we miss his happy and cheerful presence). My hope is that if he communicate with someone who he has on distance, it's easier for him to open up and share his thoughts. That's why I try to find people that may connect with him outside Norway.

Kjersti

Er han noen gang p? Catosenteret? Samboeren min er likemann der og kan kanskje hjelpe hvis han f?r ham i tale. Akkurat n? er vi i Spania p? langtidsferie s? han har fri og jeg aner ikke neste gang han skal p? jobb.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Thank you for valuable links, I'll check them.

Do you think Martin will benefit making an account/user on this website? Like you explained, I don't think Martin would find someone that match his injury on this forum, but maybe someone that understand his situation might be interested in messaging with him?

Kjersti

Does he understand English? I can be an email pal ...
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Hello lynnifer.
    Thank you for wanting to have a dialog with Martin. Yes, he understand English very well (he learned that from 2nd grade). He uses a on-screen keyboard that list available words based on the letters he have written, also in English (Martin can't speak so speech software cannot be used). I'll send you a private message with more information.

Kjersti

I am having some doubts that this person is real. Word to the wise.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12