Thread: Surgeons restore hand, arm movement to quadriplegic patients

Surgeons restore hand, arm movement to quadriplegic patients

Yadier, Here's some additional information on this if you're interested. LINK

That's awesome, a real life changer for most quads. Where do I sign?

Grammy, any idea if we do this surgery and one day a spinal regeneration cure comes along. Will it complicates things up? Sorry if the question is asked before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyran21 View Post
    Grammy, any idea if we do this surgery and one day a spinal regeneration cure comes along. Will it complicates things up? Sorry if the question is asked before.
    It's my understand these surgery's are not reversible. Once a particular nerve has been sacrificed and put into a different position (the new piggy back technique pioneered by Susan McKinnon) to help restore movement to that specific muscle they're striving for, they are unable to remove the grafted nerve and put it back into it's original position in future years. It depends on what you're looking at also on the nerve transfer or tendon transfers options. Each one is very different depending on what needs to be done to regain the desired movement. There's 4 distinct options that are available now depending on each individual person's needs.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-12-2015 at 03:14 AM.

In addition to Amy Moore and Ida Fox, you may learn quite a bit more through the Justin Brown video just completed at this year's W2W. They've come a long way in sorting out the different options into separate tool boxes. A lot has been accomplished in this area over the past decade. Dr. Justin Brown LINK

Dr. Susan McKinnon surgery Part 1 (2012) LINK
    Dr. Susan McKinnon surgery Part 2 (2012) LINK

2014 LINK

There are a few other video's available depending on which part of the body or injury you are interested in...
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-12-2015 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    It's my understand these surgery's are not reversible. Once a particular nerve has been sacrificed and put into a different position (the new piggy back technique pioneered by Susan McKinnon) to help restore movement to that specific muscle they're striving for, they are unable to remove the grafted nerve and put it back into it's original position in future years. It depends on what you're looking at also on the nerve transfer or tendon transfers options. Each one is very different depending on what needs to be done to regain the desired movement. There's 4 distinct options that are available now depending on each individual person's needs.
    Hope every-body will read this.

Thanks for the clarification.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Thanks Grammy for the additional information.

Thanks Grammy for the additional information.
    You're entirely welcomed Tyran21. I'm happy I had access to some additional educational material and could share it with you. Best wishes.