Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bed Mattress

SCI Nurse, at the moment, I have a small red area on my butt. We could heal it ourselves, as we've done other times, but would it allow Visiting Nurses to order me a new mattress? Once a Stage IV, always a Stage iV?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

My mattress is an Atmos Air with "Self Adjusting Technology" but I think it has been discontinued. Even though it has "air tubes" in it, I like that it is nonpowered and thus (seemingly) more durable.

A quadriplegic friend of mine uses a Stat H20™ water filled mattress overlay, which can be selected from this link:

http://www.bluechipmedical.com/mattress-overlays/

He has had pressure sore issues previously, but said that mattress overlay has helped. He wrote:

"As with any water bed, you just have to worry about leakage or a seam ripping and flooding your bedroom. They come with a patch kit. Just careful care and not filling it too full will allow you to have longer uninterrupted sleeptime." I think they can be purchased for $100 or less.

Try a water mattress

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    What does everyone use for a bed/air mattress? I used to use a KCI low loss air mattress that had a pump to keep it inflated. It was getting pretty bad with me sinking in, so I got a replacement a year ago. My DME provider gave another mattress that was new to me, but is apparently also old technology. After one year, I'm now sinking into it as well and no replacement parts available.

So, what do you use? I have 3 pressure sores already, so it needs to be something helpful for that. I also do almost everything from bed and sit as well as lay down. Another problem is that my bed frame is apparently 2" shorter than most. When I got in college, I didn't realize they had different length hospital beds. My DME did try a mattress that had air cylinders running from top to bottom, but it didn't fit my bed and wouldn't bend.

Any advice would be appreciated as I need to get something to help healing and that will function for me. Thanks.
    I have been a C4 ? 5 quadriplegic for 33 years. I use a water mattress overlay like the one you can get at this website: http://www.bluechipmedical.com/mattr...lays/stat-h20/
    You lay it on top of your regular mattress and it separates you and major pressure points from touching the bed. You don't have to turn nearly as often, however if you have breathing problems, it is not wise to stay in one position for a long time. When you are on your side, use pillows to separate your knees and ankles. Always wear booties and keep an eye on your heels and elbows. Follow instructions on how much water to use and obviously be careful of sharp objects. I have never had a serious pressure sore from laying in bed. Any red spot came from a bony area touching another for too long. That is why you separate them using pillows or cushions.

I do not use the gel additive. I have had great success with this product except for the occasional leak. Good luck. www.soundclick.com/jeffleslie

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Leslie View Post
    I have been a C4 ? 5 quadriplegic for 33 years. I use a water mattress overlay like the one you can get at this website: http://www.bluechipmedical.com/mattr...lays/stat-h20/
    You lay it on top of your regular mattress and it separates you and major pressure points from touching the bed. You don't have to turn nearly as often, however if you have breathing problems, it is not wise to stay in one position for a long time. When you are on your side, use pillows to separate your knees and ankles. Always wear booties and keep an eye on your heels and elbows. Follow instructions on how much water to use and obviously be careful of sharp objects. I have never had a serious pressure sore from laying in bed. Any red spot came from a bony area touching another for too long. That is why you separate them using pillows or cushions.

I do not use the gel additive. I have had great success with this product except for the occasional leak. Good luck. www.soundclick.com/jeffleslie
    Welcome to CareCure my friend.

Thanks for elaborating on what I briefly mentioned above.

Hi everybody, I'm a C3,4 incomplete quadriplegic and can feel pressure sensation everywhere. I spend a lot of time on my mattress.

I have been using an Invacare Low Air loss Matteress Micro Air Turn-Q for the past 17 years and it has been a great mattress but it has been breaking down over the past couple of years. I was able to find a replacement pump but that’s not the only problem. It has also been patched a few times. I need to get a new mattress. Lateral rotation has also been a benefit that I would like to have included in my next mattress.

Does anybody have an Invacare microAIR Lateral Rotation Mattress 90 Series? If so do you like it? COST $9,794.00

I was able to try a Span America PressureGuard Easy Air Low-air-loss Therapy with Alternating Pressure (COST $4,407.90) but it was extremely uncomfortable. Even at it's softest setting it still felt hard. I was also able to try a Honor 3000 (I don't remember how much this one cost) and it felt okay but still not as nice as my Invacare Low Air loss Micro Air Turn-Q.

The vendors I have called don't allow a trial of the mattresses except for the one place I was able to try those two mattresses. Does anybody know of any places or brands where you are able to try out a mattress before you purchase it?

Have a Happy New Year and I hope 2016 is better than the previous.
    Sean K
    Last edited by s.m.kelley; 12-31-2015 at 07:52 PM.
    SeanKelleys.com C-3,4 Incomplete Quadriplegic

The Invacare Microair Turn-Q rotational low air loss (LAL) mattress is no longer made, but you can sometimes find them on eBay. This is the mattress that Invacare now makes to replace the Turn-Q in their product line: http://www.phc-online.com/Lateral_Ro...care-ma95z.htm

You might want to check this one out from TriLine: http://www.trilinemedical.com/Produc...roup=0&Item=16

or this one from SizeWise: http://www.sizewise.net/Purchase/Sta...SW-Rotate.aspx

(KLD)