Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tilite TR Series 3 Question

Tilite TR Series 3 Question

Good evening everyone. I wanted to find out if anyone knew really quick if the TR Series 3's COG was adjustable, and if so, how easy is it to do it. Thank you in advance.
    -Colin

I could be incorrect, but I believe it is available with either fixed or limited adjustable COG.

yes, not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    Good evening everyone. I wanted to find out if anyone knew really quick if the TR Series 3's COG was adjustable, and if so, how easy is it to do it. Thank you in advance.
    -Colin
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

TR3 has a very adjustable COG, and it's easy. TR3s are available with either a rounded or squared frame; the range of CoG adjustment is smaller with the round frame. TR3 max adjustment range is 5IN (I presume that's with a squared frame).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Very adjustable as Chas said. Loosen the clamps and move the axle forward or back.

Thank you everyone for your extremely helpful and useful advice/tips and links !!

Good morning everyone ! I have another question relating to the TR3. How do you know where to set your COG ? I received my chair yesterday and for some reason my COG is all the way to the back (not sure if that's the correct way to explain it or not). Are the axles on your wheels supposed to line up with your fingers when you drop your arms down to your side or something like that ? I think I remember being told that when I went to rehab. I just want to make sure I get it right. Thanks !
    -Colin

Good morning everyone ! I have another question relating to the TR3. How do you know where to set your COG ? I received my chair yesterday and for some reason my COG is all the way to the back (not sure if that's the correct way to explain it or not). Are the axles on your wheels supposed to line up with your fingers when you drop your arms down to your side or something like that ? I think I remember being told that when I went to rehab. I just want to make sure I get it right. Thanks !
    -Colin
    Good morning to you :-)

Yep, that's the general rule but depending on the COG you need, it may not be exact. To measure your Center of Gravity, measure from the front of your seatback to the middle or your rear wheel axle. I don't know why you axle is placed so far back unless it is because of the COG your ordered. The more forward your axle is - the further it is from your seatback, the tippier your chair will be. Tt also means there will be less weight on the front wheels and the advantages of that are easier pushing and it being easier to maneuver. It's terrific, if you can do it. As I have gotten older I've decided I've wanted stability more so I've gotten less and less COG. I was at 3.5 inches years ago and now run closer to 2 inches.

There are other things to consider. Do you carry a heavy bag behind you, are you an amputee etcetera. The weight you have behind you or in front of you will affect the balance of your chair along with the COG. Seat angle (dump) will play a role too. If it all sounds like a lot, keep asking questions here at CC and I bet you figure out what you need in no time :-)

If you don't specify the cog the default is to ship in the rear most position. Do you have the squared rear frame then? The minimum cog with the rounded frame is 3.5, so if you had specified 3.5 and requested a rounded lower frame it would also technically be in the rear most position.

Yes rule of thumb is for your fingers to be around the center of the axle. But cog is very much personal preference, what feels right to you. Further forward makes the chair lighter in the front and easier to push and wheelie, but also more "tippy."
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

-Colin
    I realize I didn't really answer your question. To make it simple, your COG adjusts how tippy your chair will feel so push a little and see how easily your front wheels (casters) come up off the floor. Does it feel sluggish, hard to lift? Does it feel way too tippy, the slightest touch and you are balancing on your rear wheels? Make adjustments to the axle position moving it back to make the front harder to lift or move your axle forward along the frame tube to make the front end lighter and the chair more tippy. I had a friend who made his front end feel like he had a sack of cement on his footrest. I couldn't even raise his front wheels. I didn't like it at all but he had had it that way for years and it worked for him. Another friend had his front end to light that his casters would come up every time he pushed. I tried that and liked it, made going over obstacles pretty easy and pushing was easy too but I had an incident where I nearly went over backwards while I was pushing casually and after having that happen a second time I started experimenting with moving my axle back until I didn't have to worry much about a tumble. Harder to push yes and obstacles too but I feel safer. It's a personal choice.