Thread: Intermittent cathing using ziplock slider bag

Intermittent cathing using ziplock slider bag

Hi, this is for those who have to intermittent cath but are not eligible for closed system catheters.

I used to carry around water bottles to pee in and then crush them up or throw them out. Find a cup anywhere, whatever. Occasionally that was tough.

Now I carry a quart-size ziplock slider freezer bag with me and rinse it out afterwards. It works great, no noise from crushing the bottle, and rolls up very neatly in my bag.

Great tip!

I may be completely wrong, but my understanding is that if your dr deems it medically necessary for you to have to cath, you should be able to get the type that benefits you the most. I use the Coloplast SpeediCath Compact Set which is an all in one unit and works great!

http://www.coloplast.us/speedicath-c...set-en-us.aspx
    C5 Incomplete - 25 years of experience!

Quote Originally Posted by jdugmore View Post
    I may be completely wrong, but my understanding is that if your dr deems it medically necessary for you to have to cath, you should be able to get the type that benefits you the most. I use the Coloplast SpeediCath Compact Set which is an all in one unit and works great!

http://www.coloplast.us/speedicath-c...set-en-us.aspx
    Actually that will vary with your insurance. For Medicare, that is not the case. There is a set criteria that you must meet (such as having more than 2 febrile UTIs in 12 months, etc.) before you can get sterile catheters or touchless kits. Otherwise, they fund only straight catheters, one-time use, with clean technique. Many other insurances follow the Medicare guidelines, including the VA.

(KLD)