Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big weather trouble

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Big weather trouble

Devastation here may approach that of Sandy. Our house is on high ground so we are okay. The short term problem we face is that about 180,000 of us are without water. We can turn the commodes into the camper type ones that use garbage bags. However drinking water is the problem. My wife and I are not bottled water or soft drink drinkers so there is none stashed. I need to keep my fluid intake up. We are down to ice cubes and canned soup. We went to bed Saturday night without concern. The forecast predicted that storm was winding down.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries
    That's scary. Any ETA on getting the municipal water supply fixed? Since folks start dying after 3 days without, I certainly hope it's ASAP!!!

(PSA: Having emergency food and water stored on-site ought to be taught as basic home ownership/family stewardship. I learned this from Mormon friends, that in an emergency there are two types of people: assets and liabilities. Doesn't take much to move from one category to the other, except a little forethought. Especially important for those of us already saddled with the "disability disadvantage".

I particularly like waterbricks. Easy to store in out of the way places.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Simultaneous post, mine now redundant.

Glad you have caring and resourceful neighbours.

All the very best of luck to you and Mrs. 55!
    Last edited by Timaru; 10-05-2015 at 02:01 PM.

It appears that we have been rescued by a Mormon family down the street. They have plenty of water for the neighborhood commodes in their swimming pool. They brought us a 5 gallon container of drinking water from from their 25 container stash. I admire and respect these folks. They have their act together and walk the walk. The city water supply may be down for another 3-4 days. They are in the process of setting up bottled water distribution centers now. Overall the response has been handled very well. People really got their act together after hurricane Hugo several years ago. But how many people plan for something that never happened since the first written records began? Sadly, fatalities are now up to nine. They are now able to search places that were totally covered by water and have found some victims. This has really been "flash" flooding. It is estimated that water rose 6 feet in a half hour in some places.

Yes, it is best for everyone to have a stash of drinking water for use in emergencies. I keep 4 gallon containers of drinking water stashed in my garage to use in case of earthquake or other natural disaster that is likely to cut off or make your water supply unsafe. Just remember to rotate this supply out (I replace and drink that water or cook with it every 90 days) so you have good water if needed. A good idea is to plan on a gallon a day per person for at least 3-4 days. I keep battery powered lanterns and an emergency station radio with fresh batteries for the same reason.

(KLD)

I consider our 12k standby generator to be one of our best investments. We have a well on our generator circuit so could probably still access clean water during your type of emergency. So glad you are on high ground.

We woke up to a sunny day but earthen dams that have been built to make lakes (aka mosquito farms) for housing developments continue to be breached. Tons of roads will remain closed until they can be inspected for undermining, etc. With a sunny day they finally have an opportunity to do a good assessment from the air. Hopefully the National Guard and Army Engineers will fix the breach in the wall of the channel that carries river water to our water plant, They are going to attempt to divert the water with a couple of metal structures so they can drop huge sandbags in the breached area with Chinook helicopters. Keep your fingers crossed. They have to move quickly because the breach is getting bigger from erosion.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    We woke up to a sunny day but earthen dams that have been built to make lakes (aka mosquito farms) for housing developments continue to be breached. Tons of roads will remain closed until they can be inspected for undermining, etc. With a sunny day they finally have an opportunity to do a good assessment from the air. Hopefully the National Guard and Army Engineers will fix the breach in the wall of the channel that carries river water to our water plant, They are going to attempt to divert the water with a couple of metal structures so they can drop huge sandbags in the breached area with Chinook helicopters. Keep your fingers crossed. They have to move quickly because the breach is getting bigger from erosion.
    Bob
    Thanks, I've wanted to know about these things, but the news fails to deliver any explanations.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Another beautiful, sunny day here in South Carolina. As the adrenalin rush subsides reality is setting in. Houses, memories, businesses, and jobs are gone, some headed to the ocean. The costs are going to be tremendous. Just the road and bridge damage repairs are going to be a costly and long term job. In some places the tremendous force of the water created canyons, not gullies. A couple of stressed earthen dams have been reinforced. They worked all night on the water plant channel. Currently the Chinooks are dropping 750 1-ton sandbags into the breached area. They are using techniques similar to those used on the New Orleans levees. The Chinooks are flying almost over our house when they go back to the McIntire Air National Guard base to refuel. Last week a local police officer was shot and killed apprehending a suspect, leaving behind a widow and 6 month old son. Yesterday the young woman was volunteering at the food bank. We have our share of idiots too. This morning some people drove around the barricade at a closed road. The road collapsed under the vehicle. The vehicle plunged into a large sinkhole filled with water. Three of the people managed to get out. They are now attempting to find the bodies of the two that did not escape. Half the deaths have been people in cars that got submerged. As the water travels down the river there will be more flooding. One of the major problems is in the eastern part of the state. A 70 mile stretch of Interstate 95, the main north-south route, has been closed. The 168 mile detour is a challenge. Count your blessings.

A friend of my in South Carolina sent me this:

All the best to all of friends in SC,
    GJ & NL
    Attached Images Attached Images