Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this Forum/Need Wheelchair Advice if Possible Please

New to this Forum/Need Wheelchair Advice if Possible Please

Greetings, All,

I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Carmen. If possible, I would like to get some insight on manual wheelchairs that have the quick release rear wheel feature. I have several disabilities, including, chronic pain (Peripheral Neuropathy). I do have a service dog, an Australian Shepherd, that assists me tremendously. Other aids that I use are canes, a walker and crutches.

The friend that referred me to this forum has a TiLite ZRA that she absolutely loves and recommends. This happens to be the same chair that I had my eyes on. Unfortunately, I am on an extremely TIGHT budget and cannot purchase a TiLite at this time.

I have been looking at the Karman S-115Q and the Karman LT700-TQ.

My concern is that even though the price of the Karman LT700-TQ is ideal for me at this time, it weighs 37 pounds. I have not seen this chair in person yet as I was unable to drive yesterday.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much.
    Carmen

You won't see anyone wanting a Karman here. If you are patient, and on a tight budget you can shop Craigslist, especially being in SoCal. This is one that may or may not fit you, and is likely sold by now but at $300 it is typical of the deals for lightweight chairs that do come up from time to time. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/hab/5164282126.html
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    You won't see anyone wanting a Karman here. If you are patient, and on a tight budget you can shop Craigslist, especially being in SoCal. This is one that may or may not fit you, and is likely sold by now but at $300 it is typical of the deals for lightweight chairs that do come up from time to time. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/hab/5164282126.html
    Wow, NoNoise! Thank you so much for your input! I am so glad I asked here on this forum. With what you have told me, I will continue looking.

If possible, would you please be ever so kind as letting me know which brands are reputable?

Thanks again ;-)

Do you have any DME coverage with your insurance? Why are you only purchasing out of your own pocket?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you have any DME coverage with your insurance? Why are you only purchasing out of your own pocket?

(KLD)
    Hello SCI...

I did have DME coverage, however, I was informed that it had been cancelled when I was in the hospital due to one of my falls last month and was told that I need to re-apply every 12 months, which is what I am doing. It makes no sense to me since nothing has changed for me (other than declining health) and I have zero income. Having said this, it will possibly take me another several months.

I wish I could wait but I simply do not have the luxury of living the way I have been. I truly need a chair as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Wow, Nonoise! I had no idea Karman chairs were so bad. If possible, will you please let me know which brands are reputable? Thank you so much!

Are any of the chairs on TiLite's eBay an option?
    http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=tilite_chairs
    --------------------------------
    TiLite Aero Z since 10/2014
    I have Dysautonomia which results in the inability to stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by k4olin View Post
    Are any of the chairs on TiLite's eBay an option?
    http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=tilite_chairs
    THANK YOU, K4!!!

I was just going to suggest TiLite's eBay store also. I saw there is a TiLite 16x17 2GX listed that looked nice. You might also want to check on Quickie chairs http://www.ebay.com/bhp/quickie-wheelchair.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I was just going to suggest TiLite's eBay store also. I saw there is a TiLite 16x17 2GX listed that looked nice. You might also want to check on Quickie chairs http://www.ebay.com/bhp/quickie-wheelchair.
    Thank you so much, Elarson! Thank you to all of you that have helped me in choosing and making such difficult decisions. I love this forum already!
    I am deaf to your words until your actions give me a reason to listen. ~ Trent Shelton