Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to this Forum/Need Wheelchair Advice if Possible Please

You need to determine your measurements so you can purchase a chair off ebay or Craigslist. The fit is extremely important. Most important measurements are going to be sent width, depth, rear seat height and cog. The rsh and cog are going to be adjustable on most chairs but within a specific range. You want to look for chairs such as tilite zra, aero z, aero t, Tra; quickie q7, gt; Invacare crossfire or terminator; ki mobility rogue or tsunami.

A chair that fits you is going to be the most important thing here though. If you got the best possible chair out there and it didn't fit, your use would be extremely limited and it would cause damage to your body over time.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    . . . Most important measurements are going to be seat width, depth, rear seat height and cog. . . .
    typo correction for clarity
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    You need to determine your measurements so you can purchase a chair off ebay or Craigslist. The fit is extremely important. Most important measurements are going to be sent width, depth, rear seat height and cog. The rsh and cog are going to be adjustable on most chairs but within a specific range. You want to look for chairs such as tilite zra, aero z, aero t, Tra; quickie q7, gt; Invacare crossfire or terminator; ki mobility rogue or tsunami.

A chair that fits you is going to be the most important thing here though. If you got the best possible chair out there and it didn't fit, your use would be extremely limited and it would cause damage to your body over time.
    The Icon allows for adjustments in nearly all areas but I think they are rare to find for sale used, still it could be a very good option because of all the changes that can be made.

MyRaven from what you have been saying it seems you need something as soon as possible. I have been there. My advice is to get a general idea of your measurements and find a Tilite chair on eBay that comes close. If you are able to find one at a good price you could be mobile pretty soon. Once you have your independence you can then learn more about your exact measurements and needs and start planning on the chair that would be perfect for you. I am not talking casually about spending a lot of money, like I said, I've been there. But if you need a chair, it is a huge part of your life so it becomes the priority. Once you have your first chair, one that is good enough to get you around a bit you start the work on the right one even if the cost seems insurmountable. Don't worry about the cost. I know that sounds crazy but figure out what would work best for you and then since you would already have a chair that is getting your around, you can take the time to figure some way of paying for your real chair.

This is wheelchair survival when you don't have money. My first chair was a demo I bought from a DME (equipment seller). It had sat in the shop in the window for so long one side of the upholstery was sun bleached. The chair was a custom and had more than 5 inches of seat dump that really cramped me up and was terribly uncomfortable but it was very light, maneuverable and came with very good parts. All of that cost me $500. It worked for a first chair, immediately helped me have some independence that I loved. It took years before I was able to save the money and get a real chair - one that was right for me. That was my Tilite TR2. Great great chair.

Anyhow, I don't know if my strategy seems like one that would help you but I wanted you to know that other people have had your same situation and that there might be a way to make it work :-)

I don't see an icon as an option used in this case due to cost. Custom chairs depreciate so much by the very nature that they're custom. The adjustability of the icon means it doesn't depreciate much, only according to wear/use and so cannot compare to the prices you can find the other chairs at. If she could afford a used icon, by all means go for it! I'm a huge proponent of the chair.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I was also going to say ebay and this forum too. I got my ZRA through independent medical out of AZ, I had to do cash too since coverage would not. I'm northern cal and it was cheaper to do AZ than anyone local.
    Yes craigslist has some too, also look into organizations in your area, there are probably many, I was able to get enough grants to pay for a lift for my vehicle. It is possible. Not sure if the Chronicle in SF does its seasons of sharing grant down south but it might be an option
    Last edited by teacher2sped; 10-08-2015 at 12:13 PM.

This is what I did. My first chair I bought off eBay. Unfortunately it fit SO badly that I could barely get around. So DEFINITELY get measured before you attempt to find a used chair. I tried to measure myself but it didn't work. I needed a professional.

Then you can work on getting a custom chair after (and boy will you see a difference)!

After you get your custom chair you can easily put your first chair back up on eBay. I actually sold my first chair for more than I bought it for. Which was nice. It was a good chair just to big for me and made getting around a nightmare.

The first time I sat in my custom chair my eyes were opened and I had no idea getting around was so easy. I glided!

Quote Originally Posted by teacher2sped View Post
    ...Not sure if the Chronicle in SF does its seasons of sharing grant down south but it might be an option
    Years ago Seasons of Sharing bought me a pair of batteries for a powerchair. I don't know if they are still around either but I agree that there are organizations who can help and even individuals. Sometimes you have to put the word out and good things can happen.

I prefer monotube wheelchairs. To me, monotube chairs like the ZRA all look alike and though I'm not a fan of Quickie chairs, they do have a Mono-tube chair that starts at less than $1000 on a few sites like Spinlife and Sportaid.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    The Icon allows for adjustments in nearly all areas but I think they are rare to find for sale used, still it could be a very good option because of all the changes that can be made.

MyRaven from what you have been saying it seems you need something as soon as possible. I have been there. My advice is to get a general idea of your measurements and find a Tilite chair on eBay that comes close. If you are able to find one at a good price you could be mobile pretty soon. Once you have your independence you can then learn more about your exact measurements and needs and start planning on the chair that would be perfect for you. I am not talking casually about spending a lot of money, like I said, I've been there. But if you need a chair, it is a huge part of your life so it becomes the priority. Once you have your first chair, one that is good enough to get you around a bit you start the work on the right one even if the cost seems insurmountable. Don't worry about the cost. I know that sounds crazy but figure out what would work best for you and then since you would already have a chair that is getting your around, you can take the time to figure some way of paying for your real chair.

This is wheelchair survival when you don't have money. My first chair was a demo I bought from a DME (equipment seller). It had sat in the shop in the window for so long one side of the upholstery was sun bleached. The chair was a custom and had more than 5 inches of seat dump that really cramped me up and was terribly uncomfortable but it was very light, maneuverable and came with very good parts. All of that cost me $500. It worked for a first chair, immediately helped me have some independence that I loved. It took years before I was able to save the money and get a real chair - one that was right for me. That was my Tilite TR2. Great great chair.

Anyhow, I don't know if my strategy seems like one that would help you but I wanted you to know that other people have had your same situation and that there might be a way to make it work :-)
    Grommet.... my goodness! Thank you so, so much for your insight. Yes, you definitely know where I am coming from.

I thank you wholeheartedly for listening!
    Carmen
    I am deaf to your words until your actions give me a reason to listen. ~ Trent Shelton

Hi Carmen, I have an 18x18" ZRA that is in wonderful condition. From the looks of your wonderful photo; it may be too big for you but if doable, give me a PM. What part of Calif. are you from. I lived in Pasadena and Huntington Beach for many years.