Thread: Charging 12V battery in powered sling lift

Charging 12V battery in powered sling lift

I replaced the two 12V 5Ah sealed lead acid batteries in my husband's sling lift today. We hadn't used the lift for over a year and stored it, unplugged, in our garage. Bad idea.

With brand new batteries, it works fine.

Anticipated use, for the time being, is just in case of falls or shoulder pain flares.

To have the best chance of the batteries being alive when the lift is needed again should I leave it plugged in 24/7 ?

Depends on the charger. What I usually do with batteries that I'm storing is charge them at least once a month and leave them on a float charge for several hours. I just don't trust them being plugged in all the time, and some chargers can cook the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Depends on the charger. What I usually do with batteries that I'm storing is charge them at least once a month and leave them on a float charge for several hours. I just don't trust them being plugged in all the time, and some chargers can cook the batteries.
    Thanks for answering !

The 12 voits are inside of a plastic shell battery pack. The battery pack slides into the lift and locks in place. A green light comes on when a fully charged battery pack is installed.
    There's not any way to measure actual charge once the plastic shell is screwed together and in place.

Did you buy this new? It should have come with instructions about battery maintenance and charging. Some are designed to be kept plugged in between uses, but others recommend charging on a weekly or monthly basis if not being used. You should follow the manufacturer's instruction (which you can often download from their website if you don't have them).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Did you buy this new? It should have come with instructions about battery maintenance and charging. Some are designed to be kept plugged in between uses, but others recommend charging on a weekly or monthly basis if not being used. You should follow the manufacturer's instruction (which you can often download from their website if you don't have them).

(KLD)
    Thanks KLD.

Bought off of Craigslist when Mr. 2drwhofans was in his TLSO.

It looks like they now have a newer model but I found the older user manual online. "It is recommended that the lift is plugged in a wall socket when it is not in use for an extended period of time". " The control box is equipped with an automatic control shut-off after 20 seconds of activity to prevent any battery drainage while the lift is in stand by mode"