Thread: Best USB Microphone?

Best USB Microphone?

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations on the best USB microphone for use with Dragon Dictation.

I've tried cheap one that I picked up for my son from Staples and it doesn't work very well at all, which is frustrating for him.

What are you using? Do you like it?

Thanks!
    JenS

Dragons headsets are good but are you looking for better?

I have a Plantronics USB desk mic and it ok.

What I have found that was best was to use the Dragon wireless mic app. I use it on my old IPod. It is available for IOS and android.

That is wonderful and if you have a BT headset paired to the device it is even more versatile.

Best wishes.

Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone

Create unparalleled recordings directly in your computer with Blue Microphone's Yeti USB Microphone. The Yeti uses Blue Microphone's proprietary tri-capsule technology to produce pristine, studio-quality recordings. It features four different pattern settings so you can record vocals, instrumental music, podcasts, or interviews in ways that would normally require multiple microphones. With simple controls for headphone volume, pattern selection, instant mute, and microphone gain, you'll be creating exceptional recordings right out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone

Create unparalleled recordings directly in your computer with Blue Microphone's Yeti USB Microphone. The Yeti uses Blue Microphone's proprietary tri-capsule technology to produce pristine, studio-quality recordings. It features four different pattern settings so you can record vocals, instrumental music, podcasts, or interviews in ways that would normally require multiple microphones. With simple controls for headphone volume, pattern selection, instant mute, and microphone gain, you'll be creating exceptional recordings right out of the box
    Thanks Cris! I did some research on the Yeti, so far this article on best usb microphones, and your recommendation, has me leaning towards the Yeti. It's actually a bit cheaper than I was expecting, so that's a nice bonus. Think I'll give it a try. Hope my son likes it!

Spent a lot of money for a boom mount and the correct vibration free holder but didn't use either, just use the standard stand and it works fine.

I use a buddy desktop 3g USB which works great I set it right next to my shoulder saw the microphone is about an inch away from my mouth.
    C4 incomplete since 1985

There are countless USB microphones that come in the form of wired headsets, Tabletop, handheld and wireless but not all work well with speech recognition whether using them with Dragon For Mac, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, DPI or Windows Speech Recognition. As a general rule we recommend avoiding Bluetooth Microphones, the microphone boom is too far away from your mouth and they are prone to picking up too much background noise. Bluetooth microphones can also have pairing issues.

Buddy Microphones or InSync Speech Technologies, Inc. has produced some good microphones but their customer service is unacceptable and their technology is dated. The Blue Yeti provides fair accuracy but is better suited to podcasting and has very little noise rejection.

The best microphones currently being produced specifically for speech recognition are make by SpeechWare. They never stop trying to improve their technology and they care about their customer base. They currently have several headset microphones, desktop microphones (theirs have a 24 inch range) and some specialty microphones. They are about to release a new microphone called the TwistMike. This microphone can be used as a traditional desktop mic or be clamped onto any surface less than 3.5 inches thick such as a bedrail or the edge (or lip) of a desk.

One other thing to consider is an external USB sound card (I'll provide a picture). This device takes any existing headset and turns it into a USB headset. There is no software or installation involved, these sound cards are plug and play.

A few rules to follow for best results:

1. Never use you computers built in sound card unless you have some sort of aftermarket card like a Sound Blaster Card etc. / Use a USB microphone or plug a mic into a USB sound card
    2. If you're using a desktop computer use a USB port on the back, never the front. The ports on the back are 'dedicated ports' and have better shielding vs the ports on the front which are 'split' ports or only provide 1/2 of the power that the back ports do. On laptops it doesn't matter what port you use.
    3. Never plug your microphone into a USB hub, splitter or a USB port on a keyboard, monitor or other device. This will have a negative impact on your accuracy and performance.

Tom Hamilton - KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff

My Yeti is 2'+ away from my mouth, sometimes pointed 90 degrees off, works fine.

Cris,

If you are using Dragon Premium/Professional 13 or DPI (Dragon Professional Individual) you have the option of utilizing far field algorithm technology that may make it possible for you to be a comfortable 16 to 24 inches away from you yeti. Create a new profile and when you get to the third stage, where you type your name, additionally click the advanced button which will give you the option of choosing BestMatch V Far Field algorithm if you'd like to give it a try.

Tom Hamilton - KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff