Thread: power meters for handcycles

power meters for handcycles

Hi all I am a researcher and hand cyclist looking to configure a hand cycle or two with power measurement systems for both training and research purposes. I know cost has prevented their widespread adoption amongst hand cyclists but wanted to hear any opinions if they are out there(the good bad, and ugly , etc). Thoughts on SRM vs Power tap vs others ? Has anyone seen them implemented with electronic shifting yet on a hand cycle ? Thanks so much,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    Hi all I am a researcher and hand cyclist looking to configure a hand cycle or two with power measurement systems for both training and research purposes. I know cost has prevented their widespread adoption amongst hand cyclists but wanted to hear any opinions if they are out there(the good bad, and ugly , etc). Thoughts on SRM vs Power tap vs others ? Has anyone seen them implemented with electronic shifting yet on a hand cycle ? Thanks so much,
    Ian

Hi Ian. I own a power tap G3 that I use on the TopEnd Rx that I installed in April of this year. The installation was done by a bike mechanic and it has given me no trouble. The battery life is a bit disappointing- I am heading to my 2nd battery change in that time (204 hours total). I also use a Garmin 1000 which I mounted myself. I do not use electronic shifting but I can only guess that there should be no problem.

Overall the experience has been fantastic and I wish I would have installed it before. Let me know if you have any specific questions or if you would like pictures. I also have a Strava account if you want to see my efforts.​