Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of MagicWheel Innards (in case you're interested) . . .

Pics of MagicWheel Innards (in case you're interested) . . .

are here.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    are here.
    I had to take mine apart after they repaired them because they locked up. I think there was too much grease, nothing else going on with them. All I did was remove a bunch of it and put them back together using the design torques.

I wanted to add a couple of pictures but they were too big and not needed. One was the the brake drum, just like the drum brakes on old cars. The other is one of the one way roller bearings. You show those. They replace what would be brake shoes. They prevent the wheels from rolling backwards unless activated by the push rim. At least that's how it's supposed to work. If I'm faced uphill I cannot use the rims or wheels to back back down. But I'm not really using the magicwheels as they were intended so I'm not complaining much.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I didn't get as far as the brakes. I did find out the hard way that those rollers turn only direction - had to tear it down again . . .

I use Picasa to resize pics for uploading.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I didn't get as far as the brakes. I did find out the hard way that those rollers turn only direction - had to tear it down again . . .

I use Picasa to resize pics for uploading.
    You had the brake drum in your hand. In fact I can see the drum in your avatar. The one way rollers are the other part.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

That's the brake drum?? Oh . . . now that you mention it, it's obvious . . . thanks!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

That's the brake drum?? Oh . . . now that you mention it, it's obvious . . . thanks!
    To refresh you memory I'll try the inside side again. I think it worked. Instead of dummying down the quality, this is a quarter of the drum. You can see the brake lining. On my warranty repair the lining was all worn out, twisted and chewed up. He agreed there was no way I could have done it so quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No lining exists on mine (just bare metal) but they work fine.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

No lining exists on mine (just bare metal) but they work fine.
    What? Are you sure yours have no lining? I've contemplated removing the lining to defeat the brakes because I don't like them. And the technician was very careful about even touching the lining, saying that they have a "special" fluid to clean them. But he gave me brand new drums so cleaning wasn't necessary.

yep, no lining (95% sure). . . either that or the lining is hard, black and very thin. I didn't take them apart again to double check, but I never saw anything like in your pic. I even wiped them out with a paper towel.

Full disclosure: my chair does creep ever so slowly downhill backwards. No linings is probably the reason.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 09-30-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

yep, no lining (95% sure). . . either that or the lining is hard, black and very thin. I didn't take them apart again to double check, but I never saw anything like in your pic. I even wiped them out with a paper towel.

Full disclosure: my chair does creep ever so slowly downhill backwards. No linings is probably the reason.
    I'd love to have mine creep backwards. I get totally stuck uphill unless I can push forward. Forward always works, but I get myself in places where there is no more forward space to move to.

Your drums could be bare. I had a different technician work on mine. I know because he was new on the job, having been hired after yours were repaired/replaced.

Did you get a picture of the inside of the drum? I wonder if your lockup repair was done by supplying you with drums with no linings. I hope so. I cannot experiment by taking them off because I cannot put them back on it needs them. I tried a wheel without the one way bearing rollers, and that failed.
    Last edited by nonoise; 09-30-2015 at 09:04 PM.