Thread: Automated Car Wash and Lowered Floor Van Converstions

Automated Car Wash and Lowered Floor Van Converstions

I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey with VMI van conversion. Have any of you taken a lowered floor van through an automated drive through or commercial car wash? Any issues?

All the best,
    GJ

I've got an '08 VMI Honda and take it thru the car wash all the time. The wash I use is automated in that you put the vehicle in neutral and the wash pulls you through. No damage to the skirts or undercarriage. Your mileage may vary as their are lots of carwashes out there.

Some of those auto car washer have higher side rail to guide you threw.....my Dodge mini van wont go through. I have seen a lot of small cars get stuck inside them to. The newer the car wash the better off you should be. The one I can't go through has 4 1/2 inside steel rail. 1/2 to high. So I go threw a another one in town but it just sprays around the van. Does not do as good a job as the one that use spinning rolls to help get some of the crap off. With lower cars these day a lot of these car washer need to upgrade.
    Art

In 10yrs I have taken my '05 Chrysler T&C Braun thru probably more than a hundred car washes and have never had a problem, and not just the same ones over and over, if it's dirty and I see a car wash, I hit it. The gas station drive thru kind, the get out and they do it all kind, etc, not even a scratch from any of them. As long as your vans "ground effects" don't stick way outside your tire space I can't see what could happen.

Art, what part of your van is in danger? I am curious, kind of thinking of a new van, and if there is a type of van that won't work in all, I would like to know. Is yours a Braun or something else?
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I have been wondering this myself. I have a 14 Honda Odyssey with Braun conversion and they told me not to take it through any automated car wash because it would rip the skirts off the side. So I have been taking it through a touchless car wash and that doesn't do hardly anything. Here I have a nice van and I can't wash it. That sucks!!

I have a hand car wash close to my home. They do an excellent job. For a few more dollars they will give extra attention to the ramp activator box to wash and it from debris. The wash for my van is $20 plus any extra care I want. Do not like the swirls lefts on my van from these brush type washes.

Stan Still
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    In 10yrs I have taken my '05 Chrysler T&C Braun thru probably more than a hundred car washes and have never had a problem, and not just the same ones over and over, if it's dirty and I see a car wash, I hit it. The gas station drive thru kind, the get out and they do it all kind, etc, not even a scratch from any of them. As long as your vans "ground effects" don't stick way outside your tire space I can't see what could happen.

Art, what part of your van is in danger? I am curious, kind of thinking of a new van, and if there is a type of van that won't work in all, I would like to know. Is yours a Braun or something else?
    Its the underside that rubs pretty hard on the driver side.....puts a pretty good scrap on the bottom were they did the drop floor. The side I have no problem with. I think since I got the xt van there is a little less clearance there. I had to redo the undercoat were it scraped it right down to bear metal. That inside rail may be higher than most. That's the only one close to me. The one I go threw now u just drive up on a little guided rail not as high as the one that pushes your van threw. This one you sit still and the arms go around it as in touchless. It is a dodge 2012 xt van and it is a Braun conversion.
    Art

Huh, had not even thought of this being a possible problem, got me thinking now, will keep an eye out. In the ones I have ridden thru, even the guided rail types, I have never heard a scraping sound, but they are louder than hell so who knows?

Next time I get my van goes on a rack, I'll have to take a look under there.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I have a 2000 VMI Town and Country Limited. It's lower than the newr models and does scrape going thru. The thing to be careful of is the circulating brushes getting caught up in the add ons VMI puts on to hide the renovations done.

I have a 08 Toyota Sienna Braun conversion. I am not able to go through most of the car washes except for 2 in a 20 mile radius. I've always been more concerned about the exhaust getting ripped off in some way.