Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the first time, a paraplegic has walked without a robotic suit

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    You should have been around 20+yrs ago when there was significantly less research going on ... lol.
    I know someone that was injured 20 years ago, his life is absolutely terrible, it was the defining reason why I asked to be left to die at the accident site! Terrible thing to say, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Won't return of function, it will return at best minor motor function. You still won't feel your body, sexual function will not improve, you still have to use catheters and get infections, and your bowels still cause problems take hours to empty. All likelihood hand function will barely improve, not nearly enough to be able to use a lot of dexterity so this isn't much of the CURE at all. This is something for minor injuries or paraplegics even still it won't solve the main problems BBS function
    What if they implant a spinal stimulator in area the controls bladder sphincter? anus sphincter? What if they had bladder/anal sensors that sent signal to your brain that your bladder was full? This is going to occur much much sooner than any regenerative cure. They are still at square 1 with a regenerative cure. They don't know how to regenerate the spinal cord. With brain computer interface, at least they have proof of concept. They are able to read some movement signals and last month were able to send some sensory signals to the brain. This is going to mature a lot faster (10+ years) than any regenerative therapy (50+ years ~ never).

Here's a hidden "nugget" from the article that explains how they selected the test subject and how he practiced with the EEG in front of a computer. I looked at the pictures and ignored the math formulas.
    http://www.jneuroengrehab.com/conten...-0068-7-s1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    What if they implant a spinal stimulator in area the controls bladder sphincter? anus sphincter? What if they had bladder/anal sensors that sent signal to your brain that your bladder was full? This is going to occur much much sooner than any regenerative cure. They are still at square 1 with a regenerative cure. They don't know how to regenerate the spinal cord. With brain computer interface, at least they have proof of concept. They are able to read some movement signals and last month were able to send some sensory signals to the brain. This is going to mature a lot faster (10+ years) than any regenerative therapy (50+ years ~ never).
    I think he's right. I go back to polio being the last major breakthrough. I hear great things about AIDS and cancer but outside of those progress seems incremental. In that time look at the progress of computers. Where would you put your science dollars if your life depended on it?
    Last edited by Eric.S; 09-29-2015 at 03:30 PM.

i wonder how far they are from just bypassing the injured area? Which would be the optimal solution. I can't see few machines being the longterm answer and receiving input from touch and location can be just as important as sending signals from the brain.

Down frown on research, simply because it doesn't span the injury site. Ultimately a cure is a multi-disciplinary project, right? It's not gonna be "go to sleep, poof you're fixed." Ten years of two hour a day workouts, then maybe...Let's praise our scientists, and join them in research if we're able! I'm gonna take organic chemistry next semester... unfortunately the only one I can find on coursera is in Chinese... I'm NOT starting with Chinese in order to learn orgo

I pray for the day when such claims are printed in a prestigious medical journal with the researcher using the title.
    please come on some one try to prove me wrong.

I'm a quad, just make my pointing finger and thumb work so I can eat chips and I won't need anything else
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

I'm hoping once they sort the paras out(I'm happy for you). They can get my hand working

We'll never know the potential of these therapies as long they're being done on the university level with limited budgets.Our super rich,self righteous tech bazillionaires have no interest in big ideas like this,apps and gadgets are where the money is.Elon Musk is the only techie I'm aware of who is interested in neurotech,unfortunately he's not sitting on the mountains of cash the big boys have,but at least he thinks big.