Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the first time, a paraplegic has walked without a robotic suit

For the first time, a paraplegic has walked without a robotic suit

A paraplegic has walked without robotics using his own brain waves, thanks to research done at Southern California's UC Irvine. Scientists used a computer to "link" 28-year-old Adam Fritz's brain to his legs over a Bluetooth connection, bypassing the severed region of his spinal cord. An EEG then picked up signals from his brain, which were relayed by a "brain-control interface" (BCI) computer to electrodes on his knee, triggering walking movements. Though Fritz was supported and only walked haltingly for 12 feet, the research is being heralded as a milestone -- so far, paralyzed patients have only be able to walk using suits like that from Ekso Bionics.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/24/p...-mind-control/
    ^^(A)^^

Here's the full article from the Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation:

http://www.jneuroengrehab.com/content/12/1/80

To summarize: They used an electroencephalogram (EEG)-based Brain Controlled Interface to control a functional electrical stimulation (FES) system for overground walking and assessed its performance in an individual with T6 ASIA B paraplegia due to SCI.

Hate this kind of research

This will get you out of your predicament before any type of biological treatment James. I'm happy to see anything after 30yrs.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Hate this kind of research
    It might be needed and coupled with a stem cell therapy or regenerative drug.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    This will get you out of your predicament before any type of biological treatment James. I'm happy to see anything after 30yrs.
    You mean get me out of my wheelchair, that is far from my predicament my predicament is not being able to feel my body, not being able to enjoy sex, being able to do the motions well, not being able to urinate or bowel movement. Not being able to take care of myself because my hands are useless and I can't feel anything of touching. So no this won't fix my problem

You should have been around 20+yrs ago when there was significantly less research going on ... lol.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I always saw the technology approach as the ultimate feasible cure for us. Some kind of bypass that can reconnect the brain with the body, and this is a step in the right direction.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Won't return of function, it will return at best minor motor function. You still won't feel your body, sexual function will not improve, you still have to use catheters and get infections, and your bowels still cause problems take hours to empty. All likelihood hand function will barely improve, not nearly enough to be able to use a lot of dexterity so this isn't much of the CURE at all. This is something for minor injuries or paraplegics even still it won't solve the main problems BBS function