Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire is swollen in one spot?

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Tire is swollen in one spot?

I have been bed bound to heal a stage IV pressure wound. I got in my chair yesterday for the first time in over a month to go to a Dr. appt and noticed that one of my tires has a swollen spot about 6 inches long. What is this from? I'm pretty sure that the tires and/or inner tubes need to be replaced. Both are "puncture resistant", none the less, is it age that has caused this (the tires/tubes are about 2 years old) or something else like environment or lack of use of my chair? The last time I used my chair before yesterday was back in August when I had another doctor appointment, and I had to put air in them. I inflated the tires to the specified PSI indicated on the tires, which is what I've always done, and is pre-set on my air compressor, which automatically shuts off when it reaches that point.

I've ordered new tires and tubes, but in the meantime am wondering what happened, as this is the first time I've seen this in 15 years of using a wheelchair.

I have not heard of that in my 60+ years of wheeling. How swollen is the tire? IMO that would seem to be a tire defect if it was not over inflated. I am surprised that it has not blown yet. What was the psi you put in it?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Do you use the tires outdoor? If so, may have hit something that could cause this, but REALLY HAD TO HIT. It more sounds like something of the structure inside the tire "broke." Good you ordered new. If still using this, better be careful. The tire for some unknown can break more. The size of this, it can even simply pop off the rim.

Between the two of you, you have 75 years of experience with wheelchair tires. I have not had this issue with mine in my 4 years. But my trike with it's 2.25 wheels has had bulged, lumpy tires. That came about because I was told the Big Apples would perform nicely at low pressure. However the tubes he used twisted into knots giving me a bumpy ride instead of the promised soft one. I've replaced two of the tubes so for with smaller ones and so far so good. This is likely not your problem, but I thought I'd toss it out there.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I just recently put some new schwalbe right run's on and within a few days I had a spot that started bulging out. Did it with two different tubes. So I contacted Schwalbe and they sent me a new tire. In my case it was just a defect in the tire and not anything I did.

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    The PSI is listed as 85-145. I inflate them (and always have since I've been using these tires for about 10 years) to 140/141. I Googled this, and what came up was related to car tires, and the layers of rubber separating. The tire is damaged, obviously. If my tire was a snake (as it kind of looks like that) it looks as if it swollowed a mouse! They are the Schwalbe RunRight tires, 24 inch diameter. Again, these tires are old, at least 2 years, and would not be in warranty any longer, I'm sure. Brad09's tires were probably within the warranty period. They have reinforced sidewalls, and the inner tubes are "thorn resistant". I started using these when a small carpet nail in my house carpet punctured the side of the old style tires I was using.

I had this happen on a set of really nice performance tires on my handcycle. I think it was a combination of high temperatures (it used to live in my trunk) and letting the air go too low so that the tire was crushed against the rim. The tires were really thin, not like the schwalbe marathons that I run on my chair. I'm kinda surprised it happened with your RunRights. I've never used those, but the internets says they have a puncture resistant lining, which you'd think would hold up to some pretty serious abuse.

It is always worth it to contact manufacturer. Like you said, they sent you new then.

I actually had this happen to me last week. My tires were very worn down but I didn't have a new set to replace them. When I went to add air, I noticed one of them bulging over the side of the wheels. Well, I was stupid enough to hop in the chair and within a minute.....BOOOOMMM!!!!! After a few choice words, I slid over to my other chair and took the tire and tube off. The tire was so worn that the fibers started coming apart, hence the explosion. This can also happen if your tube binds up in one spot as you inflate it. That's why it's always a good idea to add about half the air necessary, check around the tire for anything abnormal, then add the rest.

I have had that happen to me before with common grey 24 x 1-3/8" tires. The bulge was due to a kinked tube. I've learned the following technique of mounting tires through trial and error:

1. Place the completely limp tube into the tire. 2. Get one side of the tire over the edge of the interior side of the wheel. 3. Slide the valve through the wheel hole. 4. Inflate the tube enough to fill most of the cavity. 5. Move the tube around to get rid of any kinks. 6. Pull the unmounted side of the tire on to the wheel (two rounded blunt edge levers may be required) 7. Inflate the tire fully to desired PSI.