Thread: BCI-FES for paras to get walking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BCI-FES for paras to get walking

" This proof-of-concept study demonstrates for the first time that restoring brain-controlled overground walking after paraplegia due to SCI is feasible."

http://www.jneuroengrehab.com/content/12/1/80

This report has video clip of him walking. He has a lot of support but his legs are definitely moving under his own cotrol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34335514

Whenever one of these stories gets into the media, they go hysteric over it and start making ridiculous statements. There is no way that this man was walking. He was being helped by at least three people, plus being held up with a harness. Okay, he may have been able to move his legs by himself, but that's all he was doing. I don't know why money is wasted on projects like this, they are far better off putting all the money into finding a proper cure for spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    ...I don't know why money is wasted on projects like this, they are far better off putting all the money into finding a proper cure for spinal cord injury.
    Should society have given up on flight when the Wright brothers only flew a plane 8 feet off the ground for 10 seconds?

I'm curious as to how a project like this is a waste. The immediate results are functionally insignificant, but there is a lot to learn from this in terms of designing rehab equipment, control of bodily systems, and how brain-driven rehabilitation can influence neural plasticity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Whenever one of these stories gets into the media, they go hysteric over it and start making ridiculous statements. There is no way that this man was walking. He was being helped by at least three people, plus being held up with a harness. Okay, he may have been able to move his legs by himself, but that's all he was doing. I don't know why money is wasted on projects like this, they are far better off putting all the money into finding a proper cure for spinal cord injury.
    Agree 100%
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming