Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handcycle attachment

Handcycle attachment

Just wondering what the masses say about the handcycle attachments that mount onto a ridged frame wheelchair. I seen a few companies make them but some don't look to good and wonder the quality.

What do you guys and gals like??
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Should clarify pedal with hand.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Blog Entries
    I like my Rio Dragonfly for travel because it takes up less room than my hand cycle and saves me fro another 2 daily transfers. However, it's not ever going to perform like a handcycle.

I love my Dragonfly. It has great components, but factory assembly has much to be desired. After a bike shop tuned it up for me (~15$), it purrs. I made a couple minor mods to it, too. If you get one, ask me about the mods. Like webfoot says, it'll never equal the performance of a dedicated handcycle, but it's much faster (and more fun) than pushing. Be aware, traction is marginal. See this post in this thread.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I have used one for the last 22 years. If I were going to do a long distance ride with a group I would use my LC1 Freedom Ryder but I use the attachment every day rack up 20 miles plus most days sometimes more. As has been said traction can be an issue but a lot depends on what your main use will be. In my book the more gears the better and probably the bigger the drive wheel the better. If I had the money I think I would get this one if I had to get a new one.... http://www.stricker-handbikes.de/en/...sport-26-24-20

I just purchased a used Stricker on ebay a couple months ago from Germany. So happy I found/purchased the Stricker. Its extremely easy to attach to your chair and doesn't require any hardware to be left on your chair like the DragonFly does. If you can, I'd hold off for a Stricker you won't regret it. They are expensive, so getting a used one is a good way to go. Check: http://handbike.de/wp/basar/ if you use Google Chrome it has built in translation. For the record, I'm a C6-7, 25 years post injury. I have an original Freedom Ryder, but haven't used it in 15years, the transfer became a real pain. Here's a pic from my first ride. I've since ditched the bike rack and added quad grips. (http://www.quadgrips.com)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

stricker in my opinion. I sell a lot of them with no negative feedback except cost. they are pricey. all hand made
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have a Dragonfly too and love it. I had a "true" handbike for 10 years (Proactiv NJ1), and sold it last year… Transferring in/out was a hassle, due to the reduced height. I practise a lot more now with The DragonFly, even if I'm not able to attach it alone. Of course it rolls slower, had less grip and the position is not so "racing", but practising very often is better I think, than sportingly but once a year…
    Chas, I agree with you about the grip, but I'm not sure it can be better with a taller front wheel… I think you have the best solution with another axle for the rear wheels… And what mods did you do on yours ? Also, I have a small issue to fix, some play in the steering bearings, what about yours ?
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

I have a dragonfly and love it - I find to easy to attach and detach and the attachment points which I leave on my chair are not in the way. I am also interested in the modifications discussed above. One thine I am considering is changing the length of the cranks from 140 mm as shipped to 175 mm which seems to be standard for adult bicycles - any thoughts

Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>