Thread: Problems with generic drugs

Problems with generic drugs

I'm having some issues with my pharmacy. I take baclofen, klonopin and ditropan. The pharmacy keeps switching generic manufacturers and it's causing me some problems. In the last 9 months I've been on 4 different manufacturers of baclofen, 2 different klonopin, and 2 different ditropan. I know generics are technically the same, but they just aren't. The newest baclofen in particular is bothering me... seems to make my body temperature drop more than it usually does and causes some odd sensation issues. The klonopin did the same only worse.
    I talked with them about this and got them to order klonopin from a specific generic manufacturer, but now they say they can no longer get that... so it's on to the klonopin that bothered me.

If I request non-generic only, the price will soar, so I need generics. I'm afraid if I change pharmacies, the same thing will just happen. Or they'll stock the generic baclofen that bothers me. Do I literally need to call pharmacies and ask who manufactures their drugs etc.?
    Thanks

You can ask your doctor to write the prescription specifying *exactly* which manufacturer you want. For example APO-Baclofen (made by Apotex) and no substitutions. Often, pharmacies will give you whatever they have on hand and if social assistance or insurance is involved, they will go for the cheapest. Specifying which one means they usually can't argue about coverage, at least that's how it works in Canada.

I take Baclofen and sometimes Klonopin and haven't noticed any difference between manufacturers but other meds I find less effective if you switch them up, everyone is different!

Many insurances only cover generic drugs in the USA. If your physician specifies brand name only, or you request this from the pharmacist, you may get hit with a significant (if not total) share of cost.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many insurances only cover generic drugs in the USA. If your physician specifies brand name only, or you request this from the pharmacist, you may get hit with a significant (if not total) share of cost.

(KLD)

I think the OP was referring about asking his doctor to specify a manufacturer of the generic drug. Teva and Lupin Pharmaceutical, for examples, make generics of many popular medications whose patents have expired. There have been several incidences where, despite FDA assurances to the contrary, there was not bio-identical drug delivery in generics. http://www.pharmwatch.org/crim/ranbaxy.shtml. http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/05/13/generic-drug-maker-pleads-guilty-to-felony

Let's face it, the FDA can tell a pharmaceutical company what they're supposed to do but can't control what's being made in an overseas manufacturing plant.

Your doctor can write the generic manufacturer of the drug on the Rx. You will likely have to call around to Target, CVS, Walmart, Walgreens, etc and talk directly with the Pharmacist about your needs. You may need to get one med at one pharmacy and one at another. It's a PITA but better than getting sick.

thank you, I was afraid this was the only way.