Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internal problems from pressure?

Blog Entries

Internal problems from pressure?

Can you hurt yourself from pressure without getting a sore? I am prettybony and my hips and thighs and shoulders get sore and red lying on them allthe time, but I turn enough that the skin doesn?t break down. But could beachiness inside be causing any damage?

Not sure I understand the question.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry. Could I be hurting my osteoporotic bones, or damaging muscles somehow?

Blog Entries
    That was supposed to say "achiness" inside. My thighs, thighs/pelvis joints, Hip protrusions all really hurt before I could turn off of them.

It is possible that external pressure can cause a bruising of muscles and other soft tissue. This is one way that pressure ulcers, which start in deep tissues, begin. Studies have also shown that internal organs can be damaged by sustained pressure over time in some cases. A good pressure reducing surface (mattress) can help to prevent these types of problems. The Dolphin mattress, specifically, was designed to reduce this type of pressure (originally for DoD trained dolphins being transported around the world on planes, previously on foam mattresses). Only later was this technology applied to humans.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    I’ll spare you my surface saga for now, but I’ve been doing my best. But how do I know ifI am doing damages inside? I always get a little red for a while, and the painalmost always subsides before I turn again. What is the rule about how frequentlyto turn, by the way?

Turning should occur every 2-3 hours ideally, both for your skin and your lungs and other internal organs.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Thanks. How do people with one caregiver accomplish this?

Even incremental turns can help. Using bands to move your legs and siderails to help move your upper body are all ways to change position. Also, changing the angle that you lay at helps. You may want to get a referral to PT and have someone work with you on this. It would only take a couple of sessions and that may be all you need to be more comfortable.
    ckf

I do at times get sore just from sitting on ass in wc. Ass lost weight from this injury and at times, I think I tend to sit on the bone too long. There is some muscle there, but really think tend to be sitting on the bone. Sitting on the bone, hurts like hell at times. It is not a continuous hurt, but when it starts it may go for maybe 1 hr.