Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: opinions on a wheelchair

  1. #1

    opinions on a wheelchair

    Hello guys am new to the forums... I am looking for some on advice for choosing a decent solid every day wheel chair that i can take around with me in cars.. I live in the bahamas an the only type of chairs i been using are some chair with labeled drive.. they are folding chair but are pretty heavy... i want me a nice light weifght chair that i will be able to fold and put in a my self with some decent wheels for a smooth ride.. what chair would you guys recommend for every day use an can take a beating cause i pop down off road alot where i live

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by man-on-wheels View Post
    Hello guys am new to the forums... I am looking for some on advice for choosing a decent solid every day wheel chair that i can take around with me in cars.. I live in the bahamas an the only type of chairs i been using are some chair with labeled drive.. they are folding chair but are pretty heavy... i want me a nice light weifght chair that i will be able to fold and put in a my self with some decent wheels for a smooth ride.. what chair would you guys recommend for every day use an can take a beating cause i pop down off road alot where i live

    I have Tilite ZRA2. I fold it down into my lexus gs300, i can throw it in the backseat if I have a passenger.

    When it comes to taking a beating, let me just say that I've used it for 3+ years and besides front casters I didn't replace anything else. I went hard in the winter and summer I have been all over the place. Needed some grease for rusty bearings but besides that no complains. I would try scissor brakes instead of stock ones. Mine RH one broke but only because I was slamming my chair on its side which cracked it.

    I would describe it as durable, adjustable, easy to work on and lightweight.

  3. #3
    thanks for the reply.. another question i notice chairs with different foot rest.. like some don't seem to have the removable for rest an othes that seem to keep your feet together other than the other one that has 2 foo rest where they swing away what ifs the different in them both the pros and cons

  4. #4
    exampe the

    TiLite 14x19 Aero X

    leg rest versus

    Quickie Q7

    am looking on ebay because i already notice the price of a new good wheel chair is very pricey

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by man-on-wheels View Post
    exampe the

    TiLite 14x19 Aero X

    leg rest versus

    Quickie Q7

    am looking on ebay because i already notice the price of a new good wheel chair is very pricey
    The Aero X folds like the Drive, but is much lighter and easier to push.
    The Q7 also folds but not the same way. Instead the back folds down to meet the seat. This one is sold, but you can see what I mean: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171442053708
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  6. #6
    If you're willing to wait for one that will fit you, eBay has some great deals on UltraLight chairs. I suggest checking out the order forms (available online) from various manufacturers (e.g., TiLite, TopEnd) so you recognize a good deal when you see it on eBay. Price wise, a brand new chair's internet price is about 60% of the manufacturers published price. eBay chairs can be substantially less.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  7. #7
    Senior Member elarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,222
    You have not mentioned your condition, and I think that has a lot to do with what kind of footrests you get. Most folding chairs have swing away footrests, most rigid chairs do not. In my view, the more moving parts, the heavier the chair, the more maintenance required, and less stable and smooth the ride. It all depends on your needs, but if you can do without individual or swing away footrests you are better off. Folders are always more heavy with a lot more moving parts, and rigids are not necessarily harder to transport in a car with a fold-down back.

    Quote Originally Posted by man-on-wheels View Post
    thanks for the reply.. another question i notice chairs with different foot rest.. like some don't seem to have the removable for rest an othes that seem to keep your feet together other than the other one that has 2 foo rest where they swing away what ifs the different in them both the pros and cons
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

  8. #8
    The TiLites are good quality wise but too heavy if you're going to do a lot of car transfers (I've got a TR3 myself). Same goes for Q7. You only got two shoulders and I guess you want them to be good for many more years.

    I'd recommend to take a look at Panthera X or a TiArrow CKF. Both are foldable and much lighter than anything from TiLite or Quickie. The Panthera is pricey though but the TiArrow is pretty reasonable for what you get.

Similar Threads

  1. Wheelchair measurements -Lots of opinions wanted :)
    By SequinScandal in forum Equipment
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 03:41 PM
  2. Wheelchair User Opinions Needed For Research
    By Chris210 in forum Surveys & Research Studies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 07:22 AM
  3. Ki Mobility - Tsunami wheelchair - opinions
    By NW-Will in forum Equipment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 05:38 PM
  4. I HATE MY MANUAL WHEELCHAIR!! Need c5-6 opinions
    By goldnucs in forum Equipment
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 07:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •